Purpose of Relief Cut on Back of Baseboard Molding

Page 3 of 3

One of our timberframers worked on a Tom Silva job and said he was the most organized, classiest, all-out best contractor he'd ever been involved with. JP
On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:05:23 -0500, "Morgans"

He used to until the new tools came out. Look back a few years and you'll see our friend, Tom Silva (or was it Nahm's young pup who left the show?), coping things with a power coper of some sort. I forgot what it was called, but it was neat and fast. It might have been this one http://www.easycoper.com/ but it hs been too long since I saw that episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nmnn4DPrUc
It wasn't this one.
-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

I think I heard him say on another show that since that material is synthetic it doesn't expand/contract as much plus he can glue the corners so they don't separate...
On 11/28/2010 7:12 PM, blueman wrote:

Bingo ... the foam crown material is much more dimensionally stable than its wood counterpart so effectively doesn't need to be coped as it doesn't open up with seasonal changes in RH.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Keep this in mind also. Seldom is a baseboard painted on both sides, unless preprimed. What happens to a piece of thin lumber that is only milled on one complete side? Normally it will warp/cup. Solution, mill both sides. I always do this when planing boards.
You started about painting both sides and switched to, milling both sides???

Damn NNTP doesn't send the checkback code and it reposts.
My apologies to any irritated.

Change the "Copies" parameter from "2" to "1" ?