purpose of bandsaw table pin?

what is the purpose of the pin in the side of the bandsaw table? Also, any sources for zero clearance inserts for 16" jet?
--
"If you are arrogant, who's going to care if you're the best?"

Insert a screw driver under the pin (in the slot) tap the end with a hammer, the pin will come out so you can replace the blade.
--
Rumpty

keeps the table halves aligned. Notice if you remove the pin, you MIGHT feel a ridge when sliding wood across the table, at the junction. The cast top may or may not exhibit misalignment with the pin out, but that's why it's there.
dave
mel wrote:

to remove and replace for blade changing. Some pins are attached with a short length of light chain so they don't 'walk away'. Folla? Tales of a Boatbuilder Apprentice http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd /

Mel
It's there to keep the two sides of the table on the same plane. Without it, one or the other could rise up and put the table off flat.
Tom Plamann www.plamann.com

I likes the new upper left photo there, Tom. I was askeered of the other one.
Yer freind, Mikey
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:34:13 GMT, Michael Baglio

Heeeeeeey! Tom got more than his meds refilled. Boosterspice?
-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development

THAT explains why I always thought of Larrykins as "Hindmost".
It also used to keep the table top flat where the cut for blade replacement is.
mel wrote:

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:20:32 GMT, "mel"

Keeps both sides of the table slot aligned.
brought forth from the murky depths:

...so the table stays flat on that side.
-------------------------------------- PESSIMIST: An optimist with experience -------------------------------------------- www.diversify.com - Web Database Development
Howdy!
mel <remove nospam when replying> wrote:

Roll your own? I made a reduced clearance insert for my 14" Grizzly.
I cut a disk using the existing insert along with just enough slot. The wood was considerably thicker than the old insert (which was a bit short of the table surface as it happens), so I put it in upside down and worked the rim down to the right thickness. Works like a champ.
yours Michael
snipped-for-privacy@radix.net | White Wolf and the Phoenix
The pin you may be talkking about is to keep the table flush with each other (it is split where the pin is?). Also, I used tape as shim to make my zero clearance plate fit.