purpleheart - speed up coloring?

I like to work with purpleheart. With care and the right tools (to avoid burning), one can get dramatic contrasts and spectacular pieces. I'm always in a hurry though. I want to complete the piece, sand it out, and slap on some finish. The problem is, for those not familiar with this species of wood, purpleheart when freshly cut is a medium brown - a lot like mahogany, and only over time develops a deep, rich purple color. How can I speed this process up? I made a terrible mistake when I first started working with it. I had carved a really nice rose bud, and in the final polishing step, I used an abrasive mixed with wax. *sigh* I suppose by now air may have penetrated and changed the color. How can I speed up the change? Fuming?
Not sure what chemical process is at work here oxidizing, photosynthisis, some sort of acidic reaction.
Things to try: Yes, fuming Lye Sunlight Baking soda\water wash

Try a hair dryer on a scrap piece.

Sunlight.
--
Regards,
I agree with sunlight .... JJS
Dan Major wrote:

Well...I just got some in. Got a good deal on overstock and obsolete.