Purchasing green (wet) lumber

I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.
1. Does this sound like a good deal?
2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?
Thanks,
Mike

46 a board foot? Sure does to me.

Rule of thumb is 1 year per inch of thickness but I've never done it myself.

Depends on the size of the boards. If they're useful, then it would be a good deal by my local prices. Ash is quite easy to buy - not many fauls, and they're usually obvious.

Sticker it carefully, then it'll probably be ready before you are. Ash is famously "dry off the tree" and many of the interesting uses for ash (particularly steam bending) are best done green anyway.
: I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I : met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would : sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some : knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.
: 1. Does this sound like a good deal?
Yes!
: 2. If so, any tips/advise on drying the lumber?
Stack and sticker it -- stickers every foot or so. This lets air circulate evenly around the boards so you don't get warpage.
Are the ends sealed (with glue, or Anchorseal)? If not, get some and seal ASAP -- this will decrease end checking.
    -- Andy Barss
Some green woods will dry too fast indoors and will check and split. It is usually better to sticker the wood outdoors first with a cover that keeps direct rain off of it for a few months or so. The recommended time depends on speicies and thickness. I am sure that there will be good information on air drying your lumber if you DAGS. Then move it indoors, again stickering it to air dry.
Preston

And don't forget to paint the ends of the boards with latex paint, for maybe the first 6-8 inches. That goes a LONG way towards splitting prevention.
-P.
Mike wrote: > I'm considering purchasing Ash lumber from an Amish sawmill. The guy I > met with had a stack that was around 380 board feet, which he would > sell for $175. The lumber is almost all clear - less than 10% with some > knots. I would stack the lumber in the garage to allow it to dry.
Sounds familar.
You in Ohio by chance?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I'm in PA. The Amish mill that I go to is just into NY - in a tiny town called Clymer.

Your end use/species is a bit different than mine but I believe there are some common issues.
I build stairs and always require that I do the framing. I usually use full thickness 2x12 hemlock...what most ppl know as Staging Planks. I buy 2-3000/lin/feet at one time and it is always green...very green. I first sticker it outside under cover (I have a shed without walls...a roof over a slab basically). I sticker it every 24 inches or so and put 5gal buckets filled with concrete on the top layer. After about 4-6 months I move it inside and sticker it again the same way. After 3-4 months inside I can use it w/o too much concern over shrink/warp.
Good Lucj, J

up when you search for "air drying" or "stacking green lumber."
Inch per year is for open storage. Ash is usually less than 50% MC off the log, and should be ready for indoors at <20% by the end of September.
White ash is pretty nice to work with, certainly worth the money.