Purchasing a new ROS

My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I have been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool ets

125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and will pay the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they are. Anybody with experience with this tool? Advise? Roger
Reply to
Roger Woehl

One of the FWW articles (maybe a tools and shops issue?) tested 5" ROS for speed of stock removal, vibration, evenness of scratch pattern, etc.

You might want to dig up that article.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen
.

Can't comment on Festool, but suggest you consider a 6" unit as a minimum.

I have beat the crap out of a 3727 Bosch, had a couple stolen and next time would look at an 8" unit.

Just for reference:

36/25 = 1.44 or 144%

IOW, a 6" unit provides 144% as much sanding area as a 5" unit.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good advice, bad math

pi r sq=

5" 15.625 sq in 6" 28.26 sq in = 180.8% more sanding pad area.

hagd,

jc

Reply to
Joe

Good math actually. 5" 19.63

Reply to
J. Clarke

( psssssst...oops, Joe. You may have had a slip of the keyboard, but think of the bright side, you have made somebody's day, because some of our illustrious members lie in the bushes all day waiting for somebody to make a typo so they can show off their artificial and shallow brilliance...)

IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet, which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!

(I get 19.64, not 19.63 because I use metric roundovers @ -5- degrees C)....LOL) =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E =2E

*wanders off to have yet another productive day.*
Reply to
Robatoy

( psssssst...oops, Joe. You may have had a slip of the keyboard, but think of the bright side, you have made somebody's day, because some of our illustrious members lie in the bushes all day waiting for somebody to make a typo so they can show off their artificial and shallow brilliance...)

IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet, which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!

(I get 19.64, not 19.63 because I use metric roundovers @ -5- degrees C)....LOL) .

*wanders off to have yet another productive day.*

LMAO! I guess I'll make a mental note not to do corrective math pre-coffee.

*wanders off wondering what the diameter of the dust holes are and cursing j.clarke for making him think of such things......*

;-),

jc

Reply to
Joe

I have been in the middle of the discussions and can offer you this. My PC sander still works well after a few parts replacements and it is about 17 years old. It is however the right angle 2 hand variety ROS.

5" vs. 6" I have the 5" and will more than likely get the 5" again. The advantage of the 6" over the 5" is that it covers more area but with 1/2" more reach in the direction that you are moving and IMHO this is not a big advantage unless you are working on wide open and large spaces. The advantages of the 5" are that the sander itself tends to be physically smaller and will get into tighter spaces. Not as limited to the places that you can use it, if you will. And, naturally the paper will be cheaper.

Now if you want a comparison of Festool Sanders, click here,

more than you need to know but may want to know. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Damn, another errror. I was supposed to be cursing Rob.... when will it end??????

Reply to
Joe

hehehehe... here's one to keep you busy..the Rotex 150, has one hole in the pad of a slightly larger dimension that the 8 holes elsewhere in the pad.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's pretty thorough. Thanks for that.

The 6" suits my work better because all I want is flat, flat flat. (Hence the 8" Fein and the 13" Quad)

Reply to
Robatoy

When it comes to math, I'm lazy.

If you want to compare the area of two circles, consider the following:

Area of circle = (Pi)(r^2) = (Pi)(d^2)/4

Area1/Area2 = ((Pi)(d1^2)/4)/((Pi)(d2^2)/4) = d1^2/d2^2

The value of Pi never enters into the calculation.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

physically

If you use a round ROS sander, you still need a detail sander to get into the corners, so the 5 vs 6 issue becomes moot.

Sanding is not my favorite pastime, the quicker it gets done, the better I like it.

So for people like me, bigger is better.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet, which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!

(I get 19.64, not 19.63 because I use metric roundovers @ -5- degrees C)....LOL) .

ROTFLMAO AND if you have no overlapping passes of the sander. Wasted over sanding on overlapped passes deduct form productivity.

Reply to
Leon

That's pretty thorough. Thanks for that.

The 6" suits my work better because all I want is flat, flat flat. (Hence the 8" Fein and the 13" Quad)

Percicely! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Absolutely correct and that is why I do have a a square finish and detail sander for the corners. But the 5" will be easier to balance when sanding the edge of 3/4" thick stock, which I very often do when building face frames. Simply put, the smaller sanders are easier to control on any aspect of sanding face frames, and or IMHO the larger sanders don't save enough time on a 6 square foot surface to warrent over a smaller sander that works better on smaller pieces.

At one time I hated sanding but with better equipment I have learned to "enjoy?" it more. LOL

Absolutley, and if your surfaces are larger it just makes more sense.

Reply to
Leon

ROFL - I love it. Thanks lew.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Personally, I'd buy another PC. Festool is quality stuff but PC is not bad at all. In 10 more years I can replace it again and still havn't spent $165. Now if you invest the extra $100 in the S&P500 (an even better buy right now) you'll have $260 in 10 years which means you got the PC for free plus an extra bonus of $100.

Reply to
Phisherman

Problem is, you won't get a replacement like your old one. PC's ain't the same no mo'.

Reply to
Robatoy

None with the Festool but at Christmas I received a 6inch Ridgid, lifetime warrantee, good dust collection with just the bag, variable speed, two modes etc....no complaints.....incidentally when my old 5inch Ryobi dies I'll replace it as well (probably with a 5inch Ridgid) as its very handy having more than one grit always ready....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo