Purchasing a new ROS

Page 1 of 2
My PC VS 5" ROS is starting to show signs of failure after 10 years. I have been watching the Festool conversations and wonder about the Festool ets 125 eq 5" at $165. Is it worth the expense? I like good tools and will pay the price if they truly are as good as the grapevine says they are. Anybody with experience with this tool? Advise? Roger
Roger Woehl wrote:

One of the FWW articles (maybe a tools and shops issue?) tested 5" ROS for speed of stock removal, vibration, evenness of scratch pattern, etc.
You might want to dig up that article.
Chris
"Roger Woehl" wrote:
.

Can't comment on Festool, but suggest you consider a 6" unit as a minimum.
I have beat the crap out of a 3727 Bosch, had a couple stolen and next time would look at an 8" unit.
Just for reference:
36/25 = 1.44 or 144%
IOW, a 6" unit provides 144% as much sanding area as a 5" unit.
Have fun.
Lew

Good advice, bad math <g>
pi r sq 5" 15.625 sq in 6" 28.26 sq in = 180.8% more sanding pad area.
hagd,
jc
Joe wrote:

Good math actually. 5" 19.63
--John

( psssssst...oops, Joe. You may have had a slip of the keyboard, but think of the bright side, you have made somebody's day, because some of our illustrious members lie in the bushes all day waiting for somebody to make a typo so they can show off their artificial and shallow brilliance...<G>)
IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet, which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!
. . . . . . . . . *wanders off to have yet another productive day.*

( psssssst...oops, Joe. You may have had a slip of the keyboard, but think of the bright side, you have made somebody's day, because some of our illustrious members lie in the bushes all day waiting for somebody to make a typo so they can show off their artificial and shallow brilliance...<G>)
IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet, which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!
. *wanders off to have yet another productive day.*
LMAO! I guess I'll make a mental note not to do corrective math pre-coffee.
*wanders off wondering what the diameter of the dust holes are and cursing j.clarke for making him think of such things......*
;-),
jc

end??????

hehehehe... here's one to keep you busy..the Rotex 150, has one hole in the pad of a slightly larger dimension that the 8 holes elsewhere in the pad.
IOW, about half again as much as a 5" or thereabouts. *IF* one deducts the 9 holes in a 6" Festool pad...assuming one doesn't use Abranet, which is a screen, but doesn't have any holes, and stroke isn't the same as others, ohhh the math-horror, the HORROR!!!
.
ROTFLMAO AND if you have no overlapping passes of the sander. Wasted over sanding on overlapped passes deduct form productivity.
"Joe" wrote:

When it comes to math, I'm lazy.
If you want to compare the area of two circles, consider the following:
Area of circle = (Pi)(r^2) = (Pi)(d^2)/4
Area1/Area2 = ((Pi)(d1^2)/4)/((Pi)(d2^2)/4) = d1^2/d2^2
The value of Pi never enters into the calculation.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

ROFL - I love it. Thanks lew.

I have been in the middle of the discussions and can offer you this. My PC sander still works well after a few parts replacements and it is about 17 years old. It is however the right angle 2 hand variety ROS.
5" vs. 6" I have the 5" and will more than likely get the 5" again. The advantage of the 6" over the 5" is that it covers more area but with 1/2" more reach in the direction that you are moving and IMHO this is not a big advantage unless you are working on wide open and large spaces. The advantages of the 5" are that the sander itself tends to be physically smaller and will get into tighter spaces. Not as limited to the places that you can use it, if you will. And, naturally the paper will be cheaper.
Now if you want a comparison of Festool Sanders, click here, http://festoolusa.com/Web_files/Getting_the_most_from_Festool_sanders.pdf
Probably more than you need to know but may want to know. ;~)

That's pretty thorough. Thanks for that.
The 6" suits my work better because all I want is flat, flat flat. (Hence the 8" Fein and the 13" Quad)
That's pretty thorough. Thanks for that.
The 6" suits my work better because all I want is flat, flat flat. (Hence the 8" Fein and the 13" Quad)
Percicely! ;~)
"Leon" wrote:

If you use a round ROS sander, you still need a detail sander to get into the corners, so the 5 vs 6 issue becomes moot.
Sanding is not my favorite pastime, the quicker it gets done, the better I like it.
So for people like me, bigger is better.
Lew

Absolutely correct and that is why I do have a a square finish and detail sander for the corners. But the 5" will be easier to balance when sanding the edge of 3/4" thick stock, which I very often do when building face frames. Simply put, the smaller sanders are easier to control on any aspect of sanding face frames, and or IMHO the larger sanders don't save enough time on a 6 square foot surface to warrent over a smaller sander that works better on smaller pieces.

At one time I hated sanding but with better equipment I have learned to "enjoy?" it more. LOL

Absolutley, and if your surfaces are larger it just makes more sense.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 22:28:40 -0800, "Roger Woehl"

Personally, I'd buy another PC. Festool is quality stuff but PC is not bad at all. In 10 more years I can replace it again and still havn't spent $165. Now if you invest the extra $100 in the S&P500 (an even better buy right now) you'll have $260 in 10 years which means you got the PC for free plus an extra bonus of $100.

Problem is, you won't get a replacement like your old one. PC's ain't the same no mo'.

PC was good, not so much anymore. I had total respect for the brand but my NEW, 2 years ago, replacement SpeedBloc that replaced the SpeedBloc in 1990 is not equal IMHO. Pretty good but not as good.