PT Pine and Sikkens Cetol 1

Looking for advice on the staining and upkeep of PT pine.
I am building a gazebo and was wondering how the above product would look and endure? I am in SE Penna.
In my case, should I use the three coats of the Cetol 1 or should I put Cetol 23 on top of it?
I am just starting and ready for the construction but would not be able to finish before winter sets in. If I were to do what I can until then, should I stain what I can before closing up until spring, should I wait until totally done and stain all at once or would either of the two cause a varying intake of stain and treatment resulting in an uneven appearance?
Finally, what is different in the product that is restricted to sale in this part of the country?
Thanks. _________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@xemapsXX.comXX
"My hovercraft is full of eels."
"Jeff Givens" wrote:

I'd leave it "as is".
Once you start with anything, you will have to maintain it.

"Cetol" will generate a lot of comments in the boating community.
Provides an orangish color on teak.
Requires regular maintenance.
Some like it, some don't.
Lew

I don't mind the maintenance - I am quite willing to do a yearly treatment. I would sure like to have a very nice looking structure - one that is not that awful aged gray PT wood look, if possible. _________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@xemapsXX.comXX
"My hovercraft is full of eels."
"Jeff Givens" wrote:

"Nice looking" applies to a lot of things including members of the opposite sex, and is strictly in the eye of the beholder.
SFWIW, I'm not a fan of Cetol, but you pay your money, you take your pick.
Have fun.
Lew
On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 16:03:32 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

So, if we drink enough beer, Cetol will look better? <G>
"B A R R Y" wrote:

I doubt it, but you won't care either.
Lew

I am all ears...
_________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@xemapsXX.comXX
"My hovercraft is full of eels."
"Jeff Givens" wrote:

I'm not a fan of P/T lumber.
Maybe it's back to the basic question, what are you trying to accomplish?
Lew

Trying to find what can be used on PT that gives it a chance to look reasonable over time.
_________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@xemapsXX.comXX
"My hovercraft is full of eels."

I used Cetol on western red cedar on my front porch last fall. The "natural" color I used does look a little orange but there are a lot of other colors to choose from. I applied two coats of Cetol 1 before assembling the parts. I had every intention of applying a coat of 23 before winter but never got around to it. The 2 coats of #1 held up just fine over the winter (in Hudson Valley, NY). I have since applied the finish coat (23) and it looks very nice. One gripe is that it is not marketed as semi opaque but it definitely was more opaque than I expected or would have liked.
Cetol has VERYspecific instructions and I've been told the product will perform fantastically - if - the instructions are followed to the letter (like coating all 6 surfaces of every board after they have been cut and before starting assenbly). I've also been told that not following directions properly practically guarantees bad results.
I don't know if it is compatible with PT lumber. IMO, your best bet is to go into a professional paint store (not a paint department in a hardware store or a big box) and get advice from them. Good luck with your project!
Chuck B.
"Jeff Givens" wrote:

Don't think anybody has yet figured out how to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.
If you do, let me know.
Lew

I used Cetol on a lounge chair I made. I'd never use it again. If you are willing to do work every year, consider a stain.
No matter the product, PT SYP will still look like SYP.
The Cetol will give it a slightly different look, but at the end of the day, it will still look like PT SYP.
The wood should be allowed to dry about six months to allow the cetol to even penetrate.
You will have plenty of time. Wait six months "after" completion and then stain away.