Psychology of a woodworker

Page 2 of 5
Me like hit board with rock.

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:32:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Beautiful Priceless Love it!!!
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

;-)
Or, if you're into "advanced" "power(?)" tools - bone knives and stone axes. [Does anyone remember the original Star Trek?]
Renata
BTW, quite funny (the reply)!
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 10:32:03 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Renata wrote:

Wasn't that "attempting to make a mnemonic memory circuit out of stone knives and bear skins" in "City on the Edge of Forever" (geez--I can't believe that I know things like that--get an effing _life_ why don't I) or are you thinking of a different episode?

--
--John
Can't recall exactly either. So, I guess we'll have to wait until the DVD set of the original episodes comes out in the next few months.

"Stone knives and bear skins" is accurate; the rest of the quote is close, but not exact. there are a number of (minor) variations of the quote cited on-line -- differing only in the wording between 'circuit' and 'stone'. The form that agrees with my recollection is: "I am endeavoring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins."
Incidentally, "The City on the Edge of Forever" was written by Harlan Ellison.

I saw this before I think.
This is John Kerry's debate answer (never used) to the question: "Would you continue to support PBS's New Yankee Workshop if elected?"
(apologies in advance to all)
Lou

I don't know that a common trait exists.I do remember reading in a woodworking magazine somewhere that the crippling fear of failure was the main cause of procrastination over starting projects and/or the inability to complete them. B.T.W., what is the best rock to use,in terms of weight,size,density,texture, for banging air dried hardwoods? Do I need different ones for softwoods? I can imagine a well equipped shop should have a whole rack of rocks. Would imported rocks be worth the extra cost, are foreign rocks made better? I hope they're not too expensive. Will bricks or cement blocks work? Are there any books, or videos or "schools" that can teach the basics?

Me use big rock.

My rock is bigger than your rock.

Is this what you're looking for??
http://www.highwire-therollingstones.de/images/wood-rock.jpg
Larry
--
Lawrence L'Hote
Columbia, MO

ktc notes:

True. I recall, too many years ago, arguing with a couple professors at college about job importance. They were bitching about a raise that put NYC garbage haulers at about 50% higher pay than a starting associate prof. This was in Albany, NY, but the principle stands: I finally just asked them that if they didn't show up for work for two weeks in the late spring, what harm was caused, versus the garbagemen not showing for two weeks.
This wasn't too long after the NYC garbage strikes, IIRC, when rats the size of my current dog were making free with things.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Charlie, you've GOT to get a bigger dog.
Dick Durbin Tallahassee, FL
Dick Durbin states:

Nah. The oldest kid has a bigger dog, so we take ours over there every so often so she can treat that lunkhead like a big toy. She can't quite flop him around like her other toys, but she sure can puzzle him.
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine
Although I went to college and graduate school, I wasn't so sure I wanted to be there, but I had the ability and work ethic and was a good "student" so I went. It was the thing to do. In reflection, I would have preferred to become an electrician, plumber or finish carpenter rather than a lawyer. I'm not complaining, mind you, as I do enjoy lawyering and its still fun, but I think I'd have gotten more long term satisfaction running a electrical or plumbing company.
It bothers me that the public/county vocational and technical schools (the alterantive to traditional high schools in my day) are slowly closing, one by one; I see the equipment auctions in the paper. Private trade schools exist, but are few and far between and not everyone has the tuition money. We need to turn around this tendency.
Mutt.
snipped-for-privacy@computer.org (ktc) wrote in message

i have this discussion with my wife frequently. she teaches 7th & 8th grades. it's really the nea and school district bureaucracy, which apparently is goaled on how many kids get accepted to college. if that's the goal, it's no wonder that they don't have vo-tech anymore, since that is seen as failing for a school.
To listen to many of today's educators, we need computer labs, not shops.