Psychology of a woodworker

Page 1 of 5
What drives the common woodworker? A deeply suppressed desire to please the long deceased father who never gave him love as a child? The need to be seen as an alpha male by everyone else around him? The insecurities of being a non-intellectual blue-collar common man with calluses on his hands and feet?
Why do hobbyist woodworkers feel the need to own the same caliber tools as the professionals? Is there really anything wrong with Craftsman or Black and Decker products? Probably not. Insecurity motivates too many woodworkers to waste hard earned cash on tools they have absolutely no use for. Why do they feel such a need to show off, when nobody really cares what they own? .... when nobody really cares about their projects? .... when anyone could go out and buy the same desk, futon, or humidor for half of what is costs to build one?
Insecurity!
On 24 Oct 2004 03:24:59 -0700, "Man In The Doorway"

A sordid and shameful fetish for wearing checked shirts.

Don't miss out my knuckle callouses ! I spent years dragging them on the ground to get those.
My local dealer in fine woodworking tools is (deliberately) sandwiched between two hospitals and the street of the violin restorers. The owner was a doctor, a great many of the clients are surgeons. Look at any group of really top-end amateur cabinetmakers and you'll find at least one surgeon in there.
--
Smert' spamionam

One of the surgeons who did my latest hip replacement is a top amateur. When I first went to his office they parked me in a small conference room for a while. Room contained a really well constructed conference table which looked custom built. By the time he showed up I was on my hands an knees under the table looking at the joinery. He joined me to point out some of the problems he'd had and how he'd solved them. Right then I knew I had the right guy to do the hip.
LD
: One of the surgeons who did my latest hip replacement is a top amateur. : When I first went to his office they parked me in a small conference room : for a while. Room contained a really well constructed conference table : which looked custom built. By the time he showed up I was on my hands an : knees under the table looking at the joinery. He joined me to point out : some of the problems he'd had and how he'd solved them. Right then I knew I : had the right guy to do the hip. : : LD
The downside of the hip surgery was the 4 Bessey clamps holding the incision together while the Tightbond cured. -Brian

Hey, it worked and I got to keep the clamps! Now as long as the Tightbond holds ...
LD

On 24 Oct 2004 03:24:59 -0700, "Man In The Doorway"

What drives a troll?

Probably.
Barry

Rightious.
Alex
Ba r r y wrote:

I wouldn't know. By all means, please tell us.

My 1963 Evinrude 3 HP 'Fastwin'

Damn, you got me by a year SH <------- Proud owner of a '64 Evinrude 3hp that I someday will restore.
Amen. Didn't Dostoyevsky write that novel, The Brothers Sawdustamazov?
That has got to be a difficult read! It is challenging enough trying to understand co-planar from an English writer. Let Dostoyevsky start discussing dovetails and mortises on the 237th page which is what you wanted to know about and ...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

Jim Behning wrote:

It must be especially difficult reading for the typical woodworker. I don't say that to be nasty. Woodworkers are skilled craftsmen, in a primitive sort of way, but most of the ones I encounter have unusually poor reading comprehension skills.
Gee that must be why I only had to build a hundred feet of bookshelves for the books I want to keep and reread.

Birds of a feather flock together.....
bub209 writes:

Durn. All these years, I thought that was The Brothers Karamatzoballs.
Didja ever notice that most sane colleges and universities only offer a single course on the Russion novelists in English?
Charlie Self "When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary." Thomas Paine

Nope. You're thinking of that spoofy movie by Mel Brooks, Charlie.
On 24 Oct 2004 12:23:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

That were Dustoyevsky.
Regards, Tom.
What drives the intellectual analyst? An attempt to find the answer to his own flaws by attempting to identify similar traits in others? Could it be that the absence of his own paternal relationship doesn't allow him to possess the ability to correctly characterize those relationships shared by others? The insecurities of being devoid of all emotion and experience? The realization that intellect doesn't allow for an explanation to that empty void in one's soul? Why does the white-collar intellect feel so threatened by the so-called blue-collar common man? The realization that the dependency is one way? If we removed one or the other from the face of this earth who'd have a better chance of survival?
Insecurity motivates the intellect to attempt to point out a level of significance for his own life. A level he lacks the ability to earn. A level that only exists in his own deeply rooted desire to measure up to the standards set by a paternal relationship that never existed. Why is it this same boy will never matured into a self sufficient man? A lack of understanding the feeling one gets from seeing the product of one's imagination becoming a reality through application of skill, perseverance and effort? The lack of ability to achieve anything of significance?
Whether a hobbyist, craftsman or professional..... woodworkers possess one common trait. The ability to attempt without the crippling fear of failure.
Geez, and I thought I just liked to play with power tools and make sawdust. jim