PSA glue removal

I must be doing something wrong. I have a 12" disk sander using PSA sanding disks.
I have a heck of a time getting the used disks off the aluminum platter to replace them. The adhesive does not want to come off cleanly. The disks tear and leave part of the paper with the adhesive stuck on the metal.
I have tried scraping with an old chisel, wetting, etc. Yesterday I soaked the remainder with Goo-off and finally got it all off. Took about a half hour.
Is this normal? Should I be coating the metal platter before stucking on the new disk?
Thanks
a heat gun will do it. I warm the paper till it peels off.a torch will be a bit of a pain really.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight wrote:

Especially if you swipe your hand in front of it while it's lit.
OTOH, I don't have a heat gun. Next time I have the OP's problem, I'll try a torch. Better than the enormous pain in the ass of pulling the wheel and scraping/napthaing it for an hour like I did last time.

if you do it often the heat gun can be pretty cheep. look for one from harbor freight. You can use it for stripping finishes and such too.
--
Somebody wrote:
>OTOH, I don't have a heat gun.
Buy one.
They are less than $50.
Can't believe how much I use mine.
BTW, hell of a lot less expensive than an unexpected fire if you screw up with a torch.
--
Lew

You guys either believe in 'Overkill' {re - Tim Allen - - "MORE POWER !!"}, or are 'very lonely'.
Joanne goes through at least one hair-dryer a year. The last one only needed a bit of electrical tape insulation at the handle/cord junction. With about 4 settings - from 'Cool' to 'Hot' - it is IDEAL for controlled 'warming'. Use it to warm up PSA pads & plattens - pre- and post attachment, removing the annual registration stickers from the boat hulls, small parts prior to applying epoxy, getting 'bubbles' in clear-coat epoxy to 'pop', ditto varnish, etc, etc.
If you HAVE to have a new one, take a look at 'After X-Mas' sales at almost ANY CVS Pharmacy, K-Mart, etc. - probably find a decent one for $10 - 15.
MUCH SAFER than a heat gun . . . which CAN burn you, the wood, etc. Get careless and it WILL cause a fire.
Regards & Good Luck, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop PS: I DO HAVE one of the Harbor Freight heat guns . . . definitely has it's uses . . . and the price was CHEAP.

Southland)
Lew Hodgett wrote:

$50 is a big purchase for me. I'd need to get a *lot* of use out of it to justify it. I can't really see it. It's way, way, way down on the someday list.

Granted, but it's a level of risk I'm prepared to accept more readily than I'm willing to part with something in the neighborhood of $50 for a tool I'll use a couple times a year.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:24:13 -0500, Silvan

at the moment (and will be again, frequently) on sale: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberG269
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

I'd buy one for about $5 at this point. Too much else on the someday list. I just got a lathe! Need I say more? :)
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:36:52 -0500, Silvan

OK....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#68410284&category 704 aka http://tinyurl.com/yvxgg
although this one is probably a better deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#68484527&categoryc2 aka http://tinyurl.com/25a78
Steve Knight wrote:

Kind of a chicken and egg thing, ain't it? I don't do it very often because it's such a PITA. If it were easier, I might do it often enough to justify the price of the tool, but without the tool, I won't do it often enough to need the tool. :)
Take a propane torch & lightly warm the sandpaper up. It will come right off. Be careful to hold the torch about a foot away.
Wendlell

News==----
Newsgroups
=---
Thanks, Wendell. Ill try that next time. I had tried a hair dryer yesterday without success but a propane torch would certainly be a whole lot hotter.
Joe Donohue
says...

And a lot more likely to warp the disk. If the disk comes off easily, do the soak in a platter of mineral spirits. If not, soak in sections under a rag and wooden spatula to remove.
Have not tried this one, but someone once said that the big crepe eraser will help.

platter
about
on
Encryption
News==----
Newsgroups
=---
The heat from a propane torch is hot & "fast" takes about 2 seconds to heat the sandpaper & glue so no warpage.
Wendell

the
stucking
Encryption
Like Steve said, use a heat gun or I always simply sand a piece of wood with the worn out paper to heat it up and then try peeling it off. The warmer the paper is the easier it is to remove.

that's a good idea. but my disc's never get that worn (G) I use zirconia and it takes forever to get really dull on the disc.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Yeahhh... LOL I forget that people actually use more than one grit. ;~) I only use 1 per tool.
wrote:

with
and it

me too. my disc is always 120 never changes edge sander 80 belt sander 120. only the palm sander gets different grits.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes