Protective finish for bamboo water pipe.

We want to make a water feature in the garden.... a traditional japanese bamboo water spout type thing.

The bamboo we have is about 6.5 cm in diameter and has one end bevelled which will be the water spout.

Some of the thin outer bark of the bamboo is splitting away from the end, although it still remains attached. What would be the best thing to glue it back down into place?

Also what would be the best varnish or treatment to give the bamboo which would stand up to the rainy U.K. climate, to prevent it all turning a mouldy black colour? Thanks

Reply to
john royce

It is a natural material that naturally deterriorates after it dies. You could super glue the problem area but most likely this will be an on going maintainance.

It is likely that no vinish will stand up for more than a few years although a Spar varnish would probably hold up the best. The damage is going to come from the sun light more so than from the damp or wet weather. Expect to reapply the finish every 2-4 years. I would suggest a "fake" bamboo. Ohhhhh!

Reply to
Leon

The Japanese use wabi sabi

Not much. Live with it. Bamboos about as tough as you'll get garden- wise. Epoxy and embedded copper pipe if you must.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

At first I read that as wasabi. ;)

RicodJour

At first I read that as wasabi. ;)

charlie

Spray painting it with black lacquer might make it look nice. It's going to turn black, so go with it.

Reply to
Father Haskell