Protective coating for outdoor whitewashed wood chairs?

Just finished the first of 8 patio chairs. Used fir and whatever SYP I had lying around. Instructions from the boss were to paint them white but after applying oil based Zinsser white primer and doing a bit of sanding they look sort of 'whitewashed' and we are both happy with this look. The advice I need is what to put on next as a protective coating. After reading here the many people who praise the virtues of spar varnish, I have a question. Is spar varnish clear and uncolored? If so, would that be a good choice? If not, what would you recommend? Thanks. Pics posted ABPW and ABPF.

TomL

Reply to
TomL