protecting wood/plywood from elements

I am building a generator platform and enclosure.
The platform is built from plywood, tires for cushioning and boards (I asked a few questions about it here and will post pictures soon). It will be, hopefully, inside the enclosure and protected from elements.
Enclosure will be built from plywood and boards also. I want to protect it from elements. Would it be wise to use some oily substance like they use on decks (cedar deck treatment or some such".
Thanks

I would use MDO (medium density overlay) instead of plywood. This can be purchased at plywood dealers (Home Depot won't have it). It is very resistant to the elements, it is what billboards are made of. Finish it with a good outdoor primer and paint.
Frank

How much would MDO cost, say a 1/4" or 3/8" 4x8 sheet?

Will depend. In general, the price up here is about $50USD for a 3/4" by 4x8'.
I'm no carpenter but aren't there exterior grade plywoods (CDX?). If you're not going for "style" but functionality, instead...
Isn't "marine grade" plywood specifically made to live outdoors? FoggyTown "Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

Believe it has more to do with the quality of the interior plies than the glue.
http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/marine-plywood.html

Yes, there is such a thing and that's what I used to build my shed/chicken coop. It's been 1.5 years and it is holding up. The shed is protected by "cedar deck stain oil".

you're
Not that I'd suggest it, but the shed I build about 15 years ago is sheeted with OSB and one coat of paint sprayed on it. Still solid today, no separation, etc.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
patrick conroy wrote:

Yep, the cheap stuff they use on roofs and outside walls for sheathing. Cheap because it is made of 4 plys, but works good for its intended use. Unpainted the stuff goes to pieces but it still takes years in a moderate climate, so painted it will last a long time. T1-11 is also exterior grade
Wed, Dec 8, 2004, 3:35pm (EST+5) ignoramus21494@NOSPAM.21494.invalid (Ignoramus21494) claims: <snip> Enclosure will be built from plywood and boards also. I want to protect it from elements. Would it be wise to use some oily substance like they use on decks (cedar deck treatment or some such".
This is just a WAG, you understand, but how about paint, specifically, exterior house paint?
JOAT Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind. - Dr Seuss