Protecting Redwood from Sun

I plan to use Redwood for an outside bench. What is the best way to seal the wood to protect against UV rays from the Sun?

SonomaProducts.com

The best method is with exterior paint. Most people just allow the redwood to gray with age. Flood makes a UV product I use on my redwood furniture. It goes on milky, dries in about a week, tools clean up with soap and water.

Reply to
Phisherman

Move to Seattle! ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I hate to say this but the best way would be with , paint. Any thing that lets you see the wood lets the wood see the sun. There are good products out there but you should build so that it can be restained, oiled, or varnished "easily", every 2 to 5 years. Easily so that you will actually do it as needed.

Reply to
Leon

Epifanes High Gloss Marine Varnish got top ratings in FWW this month.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Paint.

If you choose some type of clear coat, it's survival will be somewhat less than your ability to pee up a rope.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Penofin oil. I've coated a couple of Spanish cedar and mahogany items and still looking good after 4 years. I may give them another coat this year for added protection.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't paint. It will not stick well and can harbor problems under it.

Why protect it ? - If you want to keep it from drying - look at deck protecting.

The important thing is to isolate the feet from dirt.

End grain decays first.

We lived in redwood country - had a hundred tall (100-150') trees on our place.

Mart> "W" wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

If you are talking about typical exterior house paint, I agree.

There is a coating that is called a "stain". if I remember correctly, that is used on cedar shake siding.

Lower viscosity than house paint.

These days, I don't even know if it is still available.

I agree.

Those coatings are a total waste of time IMHO.

Yep.

Yep.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There are two types of Penofin, the regular (80% or something) and the 'ultra" which is 90+% blockage.

It's been a while, best look at their web site and see. I am protecting a redwood patio with the non-ultra stuff and so far so good (4 years). The only local place that sells it refuses to order any of the better protection stuff.

-BR

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 20:03:45 -0600, Ed Pawlowski wrote (in article ):

Reply to
Bruce