protecting paint finish on bookcases

I will be making built-in bookcases that go around our front window and they will be painted a semi-gloss. How can I protect the shelves from surface damage? would satin poly be the way to go?. The paint will be latex.
Thanks
Keith
Keith, Why latex? If you are going to paint, I would use a semi-gloss enamel...still can be water soluable but not a latex. In any case, be sure to use a sanding sealer.
Think veneer here. Cover the paint with a good quality highly figured veneer and then use the poly. This will protect the paint from physical damage as well as the dreaded UV fade problem.
Art