Protecting Door Hinges from Corrosion

Not exactly related to wood, but I suspect there is some knowledge here. I replaced my interior doors with solid pine. I bought some new brass-colored Stanley hinges for the doors. They are already discoloring and even rusting in some spots, after about 2 months.
Can I coat them with something like shellac or flat poly to arrest the corrosion and discoloration? Should I replace them with solid brass? They're just hinges, but it is annoying to have something look so bad so quickly The original 40 year-old hinges didn't look as bad.
"Buck Turgidson"

It sounds like you want the brass look so I would get the real deal. Otherwise you could primer and paint.
"Fletis Humplebacker" <!> wrote:

Buck, if you want the look of brass over a long period of time you've got to get brass. Stanley and others have cheaped out and are only putting a thin flash of brass and a lacquer-like finish to maintain the look just long enough.

Ummm, Fletis? You think that will look good at *all* much less for any length of time? Every door in my house has had it's hinges pulled, stripped and remounted. I'd much rather have tarnished brass or discolored nickel plating than paint. YOMV
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
I am cosidering replacement of our 3.5 x 3.5 door hinges (which have badly tarnished after 18 years). When I was at the local HD, I noticed that they sell "lifetime finish" hinges which would be a great replacement. They were sold individually at around $8 each. A little expensive, but worth considering at least for some of the most visible doors.
Sorry that I can't recall the manufacturer.
Lou

Get a can of spray lacquer, two coats, every couple of years. Door knobs, twice a year. Your hinges are brass plated steel. mike