Protecting assembly surface from glue drips

Page 1 of 2

I am looking for suggestions for some sort of roll of brown paper or something that I can use to cover the area which I use for my assembly table so that dripping glue can be captured, rolled up, and disposed of. I am tired of swabbing my assembly surface with a wet sponge. I'm sure a number of readers will have a much better idea.
I did read about using a vinyl table cover for this purpose in the October 2004 issue of Wood magazine but it seems to me that you are still having to clean something up that won't come completely clean.
TIA.
Dick Snyder
Go to the paint dept of any borg - ask for "the big roll of brown paper" - they will tell you exactly where it is. Its called a contractors roll in my orange borg.
Then go to the PVC isle - find on that it fits in and make a nice hanger, ripper that hangs off the end of your bench. Also pick up some small spring clamps and mount then under neith on the opposite side so you just roll out and clip.

Put a good coat of wax on your assembly table/surface. When the glue drips are completely dry they pop off easily with a putty knife.
Art

This discussion about protecting your assembly surface prompts me to ask what people are using for an assembly surface. Do you have a dedicated table, an outfeed table that doubles as an assembly table, a woodworking bench that doubles as an assembly table or?????

Any flat surface that is large enough. Mostly the workbench, but also the table saw, router table, outdoor furniture, etc. One of my goals today is to clean off the bench top as too much crap is accumulating on it.
wrote in message

The same for me. Usually the tablesaw, unless I have to pound on things then it's the workbench or the floor. I also use a pair of sawhorses with a door across them. Most of the time it's whatever has the least crap on it.
Art
Guess I'm not the only one then.....................
wrote in message

Or a workmutt that's now kinda loosely assembled, itself. POC.
Sun, Oct 16, 2005, 9:16am snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (DickSnyder) asketh, but doth ot sayeth: This discussion about protecting your assembly surface prompts me to ask what people are using for an assembly surface. Do you have a dedicated table, an outfeed table that doubles as an assembly table, a woodworking bench that doubles as an assembly table or?????
Pertinent question. Especially since the original poster is using a chunk of plywood. But, you didn't say what you use.
Personally, I think a lot of us don't have the luxury of a dedicated assembly table. Most of my stuff is assembled on a top I made to fit over my wood lathe. It's also used for painting, glueing up, stacking stuff on- whatever's appropriate at the time. I used to use a piece of plywood on two sawhorses, but now that's used mostly for storing jigs, patterns, and something else I can't thing what it is just now, but I know it's real important stuff..
JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.
I am the original poster - plywood it is on sawhorses.
[...]
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 09:16:35 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

table saw is centered in the shop. outfeed from that is a 4x8 table that serves as assembly, general workbench and yes, outfeed for the saw.

If you can find a big enough sheet of Teflon (PTFE), you will not have to worry about any glue you're likely to use. Polypropylene sheet would be almost as good in terms of non-stick. Teflon is a lot more expensive and not as tough.
E.g: Natural Polypro Smooth 1/8"x48"x96" Code: PP187-48096 Price: $59.55
Natural basically means white.
from <http://thecuttingboardfactory.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TCBF&Category_Code=3xy (no affiliation - just a quick google hit)
Mike
Wax the top. I do this and a plastic scraper or thumb nail removes glue drips. max

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:19:53 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

my assembly table is waxed melamine. glue pops right off.

A sheet of melamine works nicely. The trick is to let the glue dry before you remove it. The wet stuff just smears.
Same trick with silicone. When I spill some on a countertop (the so-called "drip-less" caulking guns seldom work as advertised), I tape a coffee cup over it and a note: Do NOT touch. When it's set, it pulls right off.
One site I often visit because it is full of useful information is http://www.gluguru.com /
I don't know how big you need, but I find wax paper works fine. You can also use to rub down your tablesaw table when you throw it away too.
On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 21:19:53 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my best short term bet is the roll of brown paper that you can buy at Home Depot as I do not have a smooth surface for my assembly area (a piece of plywood on a stable surface). A planned future project is to improve my assembly table and it looks like waxed Melamine will be a good bet.
Dick

Butcher paper is slick on one side if you care to pay the price.
MDO (yes, O, not F) with shellac and some wax sheds glue at my place, structurally better than melamine, too.
Sat, Oct 15, 2005, 9:19pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (DickSnyder) doth mumble: I am looking for suggestions for some sort of roll of brown paper or something that I can use to cover the area which I use for my assembly table so that dripping glue can be captured, rolled up, and disposed of. <snip>
Waxed paper. It's cheap, you can get it at your local grocery store, and stores are open late - a few even open all night, in case you're working late. Never occurred to me to use anything else. This is one even my mother would have suggested.
JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

That shows just how much your mother loved you.
After reading this thread I spent some time today waxing my bench top, outfeed table, fence and rails, and anything else that was flat.