Protecting assembly surface from glue drips

I am looking for suggestions for some sort of roll of brown paper or something that I can use to cover the area which I use for my assembly table so that dripping glue can be captured, rolled up, and disposed of. I am tired of swabbing my assembly surface with a wet sponge. I'm sure a number of readers will have a much better idea.

I did read about using a vinyl table cover for this purpose in the October

2004 issue of Wood magazine but it seems to me that you are still having to clean something up that won't come completely clean.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Go to the paint dept of any borg - ask for "the big roll of brown paper" - they will tell you exactly where it is. Its called a contractors roll in my orange borg.

Then go to the PVC isle - find on that it fits in and make a nice hanger, ripper that hangs off the end of your bench. Also pick up some small spring clamps and mount then under neith on the opposite side so you just roll out and clip.

Reply to
Rob V

Put a good coat of wax on your assembly table/surface. When the glue drips are completely dry they pop off easily with a putty knife.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

If you can find a big enough sheet of Teflon (PTFE), you will not have to worry about any glue you're likely to use. Polypropylene sheet would be almost as good in terms of non-stick. Teflon is a lot more expensive and not as tough.

E.g: Natural Polypro Smooth 1/8"x48"x96" Code: PP187-48096 Price: $59.55

Natural basically means white.

from

(no affiliation - just a quick google hit)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Wax the top. I do this and a plastic scraper or thumb nail removes glue drips. max

Reply to
max

my assembly table is waxed melamine. glue pops right off.

Reply to
bridger

A sheet of melamine works nicely. The trick is to let the glue dry before you remove it. The wet stuff just smears.

Same trick with silicone. When I spill some on a countertop (the so-called "drip-less" caulking guns seldom work as advertised), I tape a coffee cup over it and a note: Do NOT touch. When it's set, it pulls right off.

One site I often visit because it is full of useful information is

Robatoy

Reply to
Jim K

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like my best short term bet is the roll of brown paper that you can buy at Home Depot as I do not have a smooth surface for my assembly area (a piece of plywood on a stable surface). A planned future project is to improve my assembly table and it looks like waxed Melamine will be a good bet.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

This discussion about protecting your assembly surface prompts me to ask what people are using for an assembly surface. Do you have a dedicated table, an outfeed table that doubles as an assembly table, a woodworking bench that doubles as an assembly table or?????

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Butcher paper is slick on one side if you care to pay the price.

MDO (yes, O, not F) with shellac and some wax sheds glue at my place, structurally better than melamine, too.

Reply to
George

Any flat surface that is large enough. Mostly the workbench, but also the table saw, router table, outdoor furniture, etc. One of my goals today is to clean off the bench top as too much crap is accumulating on it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The same for me. Usually the tablesaw, unless I have to pound on things then it's the workbench or the floor. I also use a pair of sawhorses with a door across them. Most of the time it's whatever has the least crap on it.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Guess I'm not the only one then.....................

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Sat, Oct 15, 2005, 9:19pm snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Dick=A0Snyder) doth mumble: I am looking for suggestions for some sort of roll of brown paper or something that I can use to cover the area which I use for my assembly table so that dripping glue can be captured, rolled up, and disposed of.

Waxed paper. It's cheap, you can get it at your local grocery store, and stores are open late - a few even open all night, in case you're working late. Never occurred to me to use anything else. This is one even my mother would have suggested.

JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Reply to
J T

That shows just how much your mother loved you.

After reading this thread I spent some time today waxing my bench top, outfeed table, fence and rails, and anything else that was flat.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sun, Oct 16, 2005, 9:16am snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Dick=A0Snyder) asketh, but doth ot sayeth: This discussion about protecting your assembly surface prompts me to ask what people are using for an assembly surface. Do you have a dedicated table, an outfeed table that doubles as an assembly table, a woodworking bench that doubles as an assembly table or?????

Pertinent question. Especially since the original poster is using a chunk of plywood. But, you didn't say what you use.

Personally, I think a lot of us don't have the luxury of a dedicated assembly table. Most of my stuff is assembled on a top I made to fit over my wood lathe. It's also used for painting, glueing up, stacking stuff on- whatever's appropriate at the time. I used to use a piece of plywood on two sawhorses, but now that's used mostly for storing jigs, patterns, and something else I can't thing what it is just now, but I know it's real important stuff..

JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Reply to
J T

I assemble on sheets of melamine. The glue flakes off and the melamine stands in the corner when not in use.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I am the original poster - plywood it is on sawhorses.

Pertinent question. Especially since the original poster is using a chunk of plywood. But, you didn't say what you use.

Personally, I think a lot of us don't have the luxury of a dedicated assembly table. Most of my stuff is assembled on a top I made to fit over my wood lathe. It's also used for painting, glueing up, stacking stuff on- whatever's appropriate at the time. I used to use a piece of plywood on two sawhorses, but now that's used mostly for storing jigs, patterns, and something else I can't thing what it is just now, but I know it's real important stuff..

JOAT Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

table saw is centered in the shop. outfeed from that is a 4x8 table that serves as assembly, general workbench and yes, outfeed for the saw.

Reply to
bridger