Proper use of sanding sealer

I have an old radio cabinet from the 30's that I'm preparing to refinish. I stripped off all the old finish, sanded with 220, 320, 400 and 600 and now have a prepared cabinet. I'm using toning lacquer to achieve proper color, however the question I have is the proper use of sanding sealer. Does it need to be sanded after applied? I was under the impression that it was used to seal the wood so the different types of wood used to construct this cabinet would take the toning lacquer equally. Is that assumption correct? Please help and advice is appreciated.

Reply to
drhoades

Maybe.

All you'll really need on the sealer is a light scuff with 400 to remove dust nibs or to give lacquer a "tooth" if the sealer is shellac or vinyl.

No dust and the sealer is lacquer based? Don't bother, as each coat will slightly melt the previous. No "tooth" is necessary.

If you post the specific products you're using, I can be more helpful.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y