Proper Sandpaper Grit for Sanding Oak Floor

What's the highest grit that one uses to finish off sanding an oak floor? The rental guy said that 120 grit is the highest that people normally go, and that beyond that there's not "teeth" for the polyurethane. They don't carry sandpaper for the sanders beyond 120. Hey said Norton didn't make it any higher (6", no holes).
I just took the floors to 120 ,and they look decent, but I think I'd like something even smoother.
Appreciate any input.

You can always make your own using an old flannel shirt, spray on adhesive, higher grit sandpaper and a hole punch.

polyurethane issue is nonsense.
If it is good and flat at 120 grit and you want a very fine finish then hoover up all the dust, give it a good wetting with clean water, let it dry completely and then sand smooth with 150 grit paper in an orbital sander. The water will raise the grain, aprocess i don't have time to describe right now but you will see how it works when you do it.
Tim w
Buck Turgidson wrote:

I used 150 grit screens between coats, with a 12"x18" orbital floor sander.
Hello there,
I stopped with 80g on my Bosch 1250 6" ROS. Remember, you will always be 5' away from the finish!
Thanks,
David.

I'm not understanding what you mean by "5' away from the finish". Possibly you meant 5", but either way, please explain.
Thanks
wrote in message

I'm pretty sure he means you are not going to be looking at the finish on your hands and knees--assuming you are of average height, your eyes will be about 5 feet from the finish.
-Bill
I ended up finishing it off with 220 on a pole sander. It only took about 45 minutes, and was a good upper-body workout.
Sorry, and I mean this in the nicest way, you guys are nuts. I've had several floors finished to 100 and 120 and once the high gloss coating is applied I've found myself sliding along the floor. Are you going to sand between each coat as well?