propane use

I have a 1500 sq ft cottage. Just built 3 years ago. aveage temp outside 39 degrees . Temp in house set at 52. No one lives there, only go to check it out once a week to make sure all ok. We just bought last may. are propane usage was 137 gallons. Is that alot??
------------------------------------- <)))><
On 1/21/2012 10:22 AM, cottage wrote:

not a lot. not as much as if it had been 450 gallons.
--
Steve Barker
Why not winterize it. Shut the water main, or pump, open the lines and drain them out as best as possible. empty the toilet tanks and put some RV winterizing fluid in the toilet bowl to keep smells out and fluid from freezing.
On 1/21/2012 11:22 AM, cottage wrote:

tiredofspam wrote:

Wouldn't hurt to add a dollop of antifreeze in the sink, shower or tub drains. Might save a cracked trap.
--
Gerald Ross

I yam wot I yam, and that's all that I
I'd just set the temp at 50 and rely on the ability to generally heat. Putting stuff in the drains is a good idea.
Martin
On 1/21/2012 1:08 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

Sounds reasonable. Propane hot water heater shut off when you are not in residence?

137 gallons of propane represents about 12,500,000 btus.
A couple questions & comments.....
How cold does it get at night? 39 deg average isn't all that cold How many "days" are we talking about? Water heat heater turned down to vacation or pilot?
Single story?
How good is the insulation? Crawlspace? Insulated crawlspace? What's your propane usage when the place is occupied?
Solar exposure?
Turn the heat down to 50?
Energy usage depends on temperature difference between inside & outside, you could go lower but then you'd have higher risk of freezing something.
If we figure all of Nov, Dec & Jan, sounds like about 1.5 gallons per day.
My gut feeling is the usage is higher than I'd expect.
cheers Bob