Promised pics: canoe trim/gunnels

From this thread:

promised to post the results. It turned out to be very smart to disassemble since I was able to avoid getting stain on the fiberglass or fasteners. You can't see much from these pics since it's a very dull finish and a cloudy day besides. I am happy with the result since the wood is sound, the preservative has been applied, and everything is back together. So here they are:

lwhaley

| I promised to post the results. It turned out to be very smart to | disassemble since I was able to avoid getting stain on the | fiberglass or fasteners. You can't see much from these pics since | it's a very dull finish and a cloudy day besides. I am happy with | the result since the wood is sound, the preservative has been | applied, and everything is back together. So here they are: | |

done. Aren't those square-drive screws great?

Put it in the water! :-)

Morris Dovey

TY, Love the screws. TY also to whoever suggested replacing them. One of the old screws was broken off in the gunnel. I just drilled for new ones since there is plenty of room for screws, 66 screws in all is all that holds this canoe together, 67 with the new ones. The shiny new ones are pretty.

That's the plan. It has rained a lot recently and the water is up! I love the solo canoe compared to the tandem. No waiting around for a partner who can't paddle anyway, hehe. If yu want to see some of the nicest canoes, here is the site for canoes made in MN, the capital of canoeing:

lwhaley

I have a Mike Galt designed Egret in the back yard. It supposedly the last one he built and delivered personally. I have two Mitchell bent paddles that were designed by Mike. One has his autograph and the other has Marylou's autograph. I wonder any of you are familiar with sport paddling? :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

| I love the solo canoe compared to the tandem. No waiting around | for a partner who can't paddle anyway, hehe. If yu want to see | some of the nicest canoes, here is the site for canoes made in MN, | the capital of canoeing: | |

as far as the kayaks and got side-tracked. :-)

I like kayaks for the same reason you like your solo canoe. I caught the kayack bug on Cyprus (of all unlikely places!) as a kid back in the 50's and never got over it.

I have a little 13-footer that doesn't need much more than wet driveway to float and I've enjoyed using it to explore a few of Iowa's rivers and streams.

I'm not going to touch any claims for "the capital of canoeing" :-D

Morris Dovey