Projects for a ten year old

Page 2 of 2

doth

This is the complete opposite of my experience. I'm sure the books will be fine.
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote: (snip)

Does he like painting? He may enjoy making puzzles with some 1/4" (or 1/8") plywood and a coping saw.
(Don't get luan plywood -- it splinters way too much.)
I pasted/glued a couple of pictures to 1/4" ply then cut them into jigsaw puzzle shapes for our 5 & 3 YO grand kids. Second time was a snap as far as time goes so I suggested they turn them over and rely on shapes only to assemble them. Both kids had a great time. Is a scroll saw considered O.K. for a ten year old?
On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:50:36 -0600, Mike Paulsen

snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

If he's artistic you might interest him in woodcarving, or making those little animal figures that sit on a fence.
Carving doesnt need much in tools , or much wood. There are usually books on carving at your local library.
Building supply places sometimes have an offcuts bin where you can get small pieces of wood fairly cheap.
You might want to check out some books by John Nelson. He has tends to have lots of small projects it his books. I don't know exact titles off hand, but something along the lines of "Weekend Woodworker" & similar titles.
If you can swing the cost, a scroll saw is a great tool for kids. Lots ot toys, model making, art & craft work, & other small projects. low end saws $150-$200 or so, from Delta, Dremel, etc, vibrate but otherwise can do good work. My daughter (with supervision of course) started using mine when she was 7 or 8.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net