Projects by hand.

I remember seeing a short segment on the DIY network about a woodworker that used nothing but hand tools and tools that he made himself. In fact the only power tool he used was a really old band saw. And I mean really old.
I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that can teach me some of these really old school methods.
I remember in the segment he showed a rabbit plane that he used to make some of his joints and he also showed a few of the tools that he made for other purposes.
What I want is a reference to teach me all of the tools that are used as well as the potential to make new tools, and how to use them all to make different projects.
I am a 25 year old newbie to woodworking and I want to learn how to make some projects the old fashioned way. I want to put a lot into making a project so that I can appreciate it more and make each project I do have personality.
Thanks for the help.

This goes along with my contention that the first power tool purchase should be a GOOD band saw.
I didn't do it that way, but in hindsight, it makes a lot of sense.
Barry
http://www.homesteadheritage.com/index.html
The link is to a school that teaches furniture making with hand tools. Check it out.

diceshooter wrote:

Could you be thinking of Roy Underhill?
http://www.pbs.org/wws /
Mike
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:09:20 -0400, diceshooter wrote:
You might want to check out The Electronic Neanderthal http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/en.html The folks there are dedicated to the idea that hand tools rule. For what it is worth my shop is a mix of powered and unpowered tools. My conceit is that I can tell when it is better to use a hand tool than take the time to set up a power tool.
tony

Well, pull up a chair on the Porch diceshooter, where the topic of conversation is traditional woodworking (and associated tools) interspersed with talk about blacksmithing, etc.: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/archive /
When you want to join in on the conversation, first read the FAQ: http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html and then subscribe.
Cheers, Mike