Project Time

Welp, as most of you know I got a new TS a few weeks ago. I finally got around to making an outfeed table for it. It is kind of big, but it serves several purposes. It will be an outfeed table for my table saw, planer and my old contractors table saw.

Now it is time to start on a 'real' project. Maybe next weekend...

Check it out:

Garage_Woodworks

You will soon find that large outfeed table has many benefits. Depending on where it is relative to your lumber or sheet good storage, a surface like that is handy for sorting lumber for those real projects.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That's a lot like my "outfeed" table, which is actually a workbench. I don't have to worry about cutting full sheets of plywood, the "outfeed" table is 8 feet long and can handle any offcuts I make.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Let me clarify this. It sounded a little sad this morning. I wasn't implying my projects to date haven't been 'real'. What I meant was that it was time to start on a 'real' project other than 'outfeed tables'.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

I was going to go with one half the size and conserve room, but what the heck..

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

That's kind of what I was thinking. It could also serve as a glue-up table or finish applying table.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

SFWIW, built a 4x8 outfeed table with drawers underneath that were accessible from the sides.

24 on each side, 48 total.

Provided a way to hide a lot of crap or useful stuff depending on how you like at it.

Left it in place when moving time arrived.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Outfeed tables make great 'car ports' for big rolling things like planers and shopvacs. Even custom made shelves or stacking wide boxes on casters are very useful to store things and then just roll under the table. You'll find a lot of unused cubes under there. Three quarters of the stuff you have all over your workbench (I looked at your picture) should up on shelves above the bench. An Industrial Engineer I worked with was always saying" "UP, UP, UP, dammit..use your cubes!!" By the time I built a mezzanine and got a forklift and racking, the IE and I were standing in this big space and I said: "What the hell am I paying all this rent for?" (16' ceilings were nice, but expensive to heat...nowadays I'd look at it differently.)

Of course that whole 'cubes' thing is biting me in the ass on a regular basis. When my suppliers ship me 30" x 144" slabs of solid surface, they're not allowed to stack anything on top...so I pay for the 'cubes'. The upside is that it costs no more to ship 6 sheets than it costs to ship 3. That works for me when I'm busy...traditionally things are a bit slower this time of year, but it's very slow right now..

*yawn, stretch* r
Reply to
Robatoy

Ah, yes. Is there a single woodworker who's breaker panel door isn't open right now?

Nice setup. I wish I had that much room. Of course, if I had that much room I wouldn't have a brew pub 300 yards away. So, I guess I don't wish I had that much room...

Cheers, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

>>> Ah, yes. Is there a single woodworker who's breaker panel door isn't > open right now? >

Thanks! It's funny you mentioned a brewpub, because as it turns out, I do have a one in there. It is really small though. I only do 5 gallon batches. If you look at my 'woodshop' shot you can just make out my 10g kettle in the back left of the picture sitting on my burner. All of my 5g carboys are out of frame. I got into all grain brewing about ten years ago, but I don't have much time for it any more. My last batch, an imperial stout) was maybe 4-5 months ago.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Wait a minute. I think I mis-read your post. You own a brewpub?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

Not a bad idea, but I still don't have dust collection (cough, cough!). Anything I put under the table is going to get covered in sawdust.

My next powertool is going to be be for my lungs! (cough)

Nice idea!

I know, I know. I never got around to making shelves. I also need doors under the bench to prevent dust from accumulating there.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

It is one of those deals that after you DO install shelves and other organization tools, that you slap your forehead and ask yourself why you didn't do this LONG ago! All it takes is a little time and a few bucks....oh wait...never mind...

Robatoy

outfeed and the fence extension tables. Think cabinets, drawers, etc. and see how much space you can recover in the rest of your shop.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Yes, and if he plays his cards right, he can put that gorgeous jointer under a workbench as well. Those kind of machines are seldom used enough to warrant the waste of space. The benchtop drill press was a good move though.

Reply to
Robatoy

Mine pretty much does everything. I saw that you had it serving as a planer outfeed as well, which I also do. Most of my large tools are set at pretty much the same height (except the jointer) and since they're mostly on rolling stands, they can be moved over if I need extra space.

Plus the fact that you've got tons of space under the table to put in shelves and drawers and we all know there's no such thing as too much storage.

Guity as charged.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Nice table... I bought my PM2000 at the same time you did. I work in a two car garage and I have no driveway so the two cars are in the garage every night. That means the casters on my table get a lot of work. I spent the weekend on a set of four cabinets that will hang on the wall above the stored tablesaw. Each cabinet has three 6 inch drawers and then two 15 inch shelves at the top. I'll post some photos soon. I plan to add a outfeed table, but I'll hinge it so that it folds down and allows me to push the saw to the wall.

Jack

Reply to
EWCM

Thank you.

Sweet machine. After having useed my contractors saw for so long the difference between the two is mind blowing.

I made an outfeed table that folded down for my old contractors. It was a space saver.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

No, I don't own it! - it's around the corner. Although my friends and I are putting somebody's kids through college...

In order to get a larger shop, I'd have to move out to the suburbs and we don't have brew pubs out there. I have one three hundred yards away and another one is about a mile away. Both are excellent. We often go right after tennis and nobody complains that we're in tennis clothes.

Cheers, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You kidding me? If it touches my table saw fence, it touches my jointer. I'd say one is used as frequently as the other. (BTW: I'm going to buy that exact same jointer in the next two weeks. Mine is old and beat street.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff