Progressively more intimidating tools.

Page 3 of 3

*snip: branch hitting power pole*

I haven't actually tried this (never had the problem) but supposedly you can call the phone or power company and ask them to remove branches approaching wires. Paying a guy $100 to take a branch down sure seems a lot more appealing than $2000 doing "cleanup" after a homeowner had an accident.
Puckdropper

Free of charge by the power company in my area, trim once a year. They had also remove trees and re-plant lower growing species on another area away from the power line for free too.
"Rod & Betty Jo" wrote in message

Good post Frank, I suppose pride has something to do with the responses you are getting. If I had to rank my major machines in order of scaryness to me (from least to most scary) it would be be: Bandsaw, planer, CMS, router.
I have had scary moments with each of them, but for some reason the router scares me the most. Just yesterday I was creating shelving units on 3/4" MDF. I was using my router with a 3/4" straight bit & straight edge to create 1/4" deep dados in the case that the shelves would fit into. Everything was going fine, and the work was going very well until I noticed that the depth stop on my router didn't seem to be holding at 1/4". I made adjustments and it kept happening. Then I noticed that my dado was not the right depth so I turned off the router to examine it, and after the router stopped turning, the bit fell promptly to the ground.
The thing is: there are a lot of variables in woodworking, if you think you are immune to accidents just because you consider yourself a careful person you need to "humble-ize" your thinking down one notch. Do this for your own safety and those who depend on you.
** Frank ** wrote:

My brain, because it's the one that lets situations develop that result in the others doing harm.
--John
Sun, Jul 1, 2007, 10:50am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (**Frank**) sorh vuevlw: <anip> What is your most dangerous tool in your homeshop? Poxkwrknidw.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
It's been fun people but I have other things to do now. If you want to pursue Hazard Mitigation I suggest you contact your local Emergency Management Agency or FEMA (the people who brought you Katrina relief) or maybe even the American Red Cross. Above all Plan, Think and BE SAFE.
sweet sawdust wrote:

FEMA? The people who did WHAT to WHO?
Now we are in serious CYA territory.
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

The only woodworking injury I have that is still visible came shortly after I got my first table saw . . . and I caused the injury with a hand saw.
I was being VERY careful with the table saw, but when the piece I wanted to crosscut was a little too long to fit on the table saw, I turned around to cut it with a hand saw and sliced off the tip of my left index finger instead.
So I guess the most dangerous one is the one I'm being careless with.
--
The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something
right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong