Progress On New House

The front porch is approximately 5x14, back porch 11x11.

Reply to
Leon

It must have been the back porch I was thinking of. It looked as wide and deep as it was tall, so I called it 8'. My bad.

in case you were interested. I'm still looking for discounters ('cuz I don't pay retail if I can help it) but it would be easy to remove the screens and install visqueen for the fall and winter, keeping the place more usable for more of the year.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes after looking closely at that side of the garage I figured it was a lighted address bar. Was this your plan or was it the builders? I really like the architecture and the long windows give it a Victorian/1880's look. Good price per sq.ft.!! I figured the exposed steel posts were going to get a stone finish as well as the front facade. No basements in TX? Nice place and lots of property. Enjoy your new HOME!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Just a painted cement cast address block. Builders plan, a very common and apparently a product of Strand Engineering IIRC. The builder is DR Horton. We saw 4 different builders using a "very similar" floor plan. No basement. ;~( Then engineering company acts as a 3rd party inspector during the foundation and framing process.

Reply to
Leon

Changed to smaller uploads

Leon

The cool thing for me is when I look back at my construction photos (to find studs for missed HRV wiring and stuff) is that the whole thing started out with a pile of lumber on the gravel driveway.

I figure I spent over $1500 on fastening devices (mostly nails) to hold all that kindling together for mine.

Nice going. Lots of luck.

Q. Are the stairs construction only, to be replaced, or will there be caps going on them later?

Josepi

Yeah, I have about 125 photos strictly for relocating wiring boxes.. Found two that the dry wallers covered up that the electrician has not relocate yet.

Stair are permanent and will be carpeted. In the future at some point I will yank the carpet and cover the treads with oak.

Reply to
Leon

ROFLMAO. I noticed one of those at my son's house, being an electrical guy. Long bulge in the drywall and a place where a box should be. They fix it but think of the drywall screws that will not be tightened down.

I also caught one on a piece of kitchen country that had no receptical. Knowing our code I knew that a counter top of more than 18" had to have a receptical in it. Somebody had to hack up drywall....LOL Now it is where their kettle sits and gets used permanently plugged in there.

Remember if the cord can't reach everywhere it needs another receptical. Lamps = 6' long, kettles = 18" long. Pots only get called black and don't have cords.

Reply to
Josepi