Progress Of The Rustic Gun Cabinet

Made with salvaged hand split cypress boards; the uneven faces presented a few problems, but nothing, serious enough, that a hand plane and a shoulder plane couldn't fix.

I have the top's sides' facings, the drawers, the drawer knobs, a few moldi ng touch-ups, and the gun rack aspects still to do..... And of course the finishing. I'll use the water base Varathane Floor Finish.

I'm pleased with the progress, despite building it as I go. I drew only a few basic plans, with measurements, to start with. Other parts needed more accurate measurements and being careful, because of the uneven faces.... s omewhat of a challenge, but it hasn't been bad.

I hope to finish the facings and the crown, tomorrow. The crown and the up per front & side moldings lift off the top, i.e., not permanently attached to the backboard and to the side panels.

These boards came from an old house, we tore down, at the farm. When I pul led the nails, I kept the old hand-made ones. I'll use these old nails to fill many of the holes in the cabinet, prior to finishing. There are still many nails in the boards.

Maybe within 2 weeks, I'll complete it, if weather permits. It's been warm , lately.... 73 today, 68 forecast for tomorrow, in the 40s for Mardi Gras (Tuesday).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Cool! Rustic and HD looking!