Program

When I make something I generally work out the finished dimensions I want then make rough sketches of the components. I draw terribly and would kind of like a CAD program that works in a similar manner. For example...

  1. Define components (top, bottom, sides, back, front, whatever).

  1. Define relationships of components ("top" = "parallel to bottom", for example), preferably by drag & drop.

  2. Draw components by inputing dimensions.

  1. View/modify each component as a separate dimensioned drawing

  2. View all components in relationship to the others; eg, an "unfolded" and dimensioned view (front in center, top above, bottom below, sides at respective sides)

  1. Put the lot together in a dimensioned 3D view.

Basically, I don't want a program to actually draw the stuff but one that takes numeric input and creates them from that. Any suggestions?

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH
[snip]

Check out these guys:

in mind that all reasonably competent drafting/drawing packages come with a learning curve. Sketchup has an interface which allows you to do simple things easily, but the more you want, the deeper you need to dig. None are cheap either. I use MiniCAD (now called Vectorworks PC/Mac also) and it's like second nature to me after 17 years. (BTW, it was called Mini because it ran on a computer smaller than a main-frame.) AutoCAD is handy for designing aeroplanes. Too big and bulky and expensive to be an option...even the so-called 'Lite' is a pain to use. I took AutoCAD for three years at the local college (it's an industry standard around these parts, so I kinda had to...) But I always gravitated back to what came to me on a more natural level. Sketchup is the closest thing to the MiniCAD interface

Reply to
Robatoy

Most any good and OLD CAD program will do that except most have made life simpler by eliminating a lot of data entry as you have described and substituted Direct Distance Entry relative from the last point given. If you have a drafting back ground it will be a GREAT help with any CAD program, otherwise I thing you are looking at a big learning curve to over come. CAD programs do not read your mind and quite complex compared to just about any other type of software. You might be better served by reading up on the subject of Drafting in general before going with a CAD program.

Reply to
Leon

LOL... I use AutoCAD LT, and until I finally upgraded to it 10 or so years ago none of the CAD programs made life simpler for me and I used 5 or 6 cheaper versions 10 years previous to that. I did how ever have a formal drafting back ground going back to the early 70's when drawing by hand was still main stream. I learned AutoCAD LT on my own with no problems. By any chance did you have a drafting back ground before taking AutoCAD courses? IMHO knowing all the short cuts and rules to drawing in the first place makes moving up to a CAD program much simpler. CAD programs do not teach you to draw correctly they simply speed the process up. With out the basic fundamentals of drafting, CAD programs and as you put it the more complex AutoCAD program can be quite intimidating.

Reply to
Leon

You have described SolidWorks pretty well. Got $5000.00? How many hours do you have to learn this (think hundreds). I use Turbocad Pro. Full 3D with 2D takeoffs, sections ect. Bargain price. About $900.00. All programs of this complexity take serious effort and perseverance to learn, and lots of time.

Reply to
CW

Yes, what he said.

Reply to
CW

Lobby Dosser wrote in news:DA2we.387 $Ku6.17@trnddc04:

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Strangely enough, I knew about this one, but had forgotten about it. It's in a bookmark, even.

Thank you.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

[...]

Well... If I am designing something that needs a drawing (i.e. stuff that get's made in a workshop, *not* woodworking projects I do myself) I usually (after the "vision" stage, which happens in my head only) create a PostScript drawing, which uses some math (PostScript is a nice programming language, after all) to calculate the shapes from some basic design parameters. By varying the design parameters I then can see where problems pop up and find optimal solutions. An example you can see at

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel