"Professional Woodworker" brand tools

Anybody ever heard of "Professional Woodworker" branded tools?
Reason I ask is that I saw a virtually unused (or really well cleaned up) lathe at a garage sale last Sunday that carried that brand. Figured the motor alone was worth the asking price.
So now I own a lathe. Real basic. No creature comforts at all. Partial disassembly to change speeds. Tool rest and tailstock held down with hex bolts for which I don't have a big enough wrench. Well, Craftsman used to make pretty good wrenches.
Probably some Chiwanese import for which repair parts/accessories don't exist. But, what the heck, it's only money.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
I bought some of their clamps at a Homier sale about five or six years ago. I don't find many tools to be completely useless, but they make the worst clamps in the world. The ends of bar clamps were basically pop riveted on. C-Clamps were not much better. When they say you can't have too many clamps, they didn't know about these. They were worthless. I unloaded the bar clamps at a garage sale and vowed never to buy from them or Homier again. Now I have mostly Rockler pipe clamps and am coveting some Besseys.
I hope that you have better luck with the lathe. Value is in what you can make out of it. If it doesn't work out as a lathe and the motor can later be used for something else, what the heck?
Eric T
Tom Veatch wrote:

robdingnagian1 wrote:

I went to a Homier sale once. Half an acre of tools spread out before me, and I didn't buy *anything*. I've never seen so much garbage in one place, and I used to live over the hill from a landfill.

"Professional Woodworker" is a Homier brand tool. I have no experience with the lathe but I have had a few of their tools with mixed results.
I have several of their mobile bases ($17) that work great. One base has 0.02 miles on it. (HA!)
Most of their tools are lighter duty tham Harbor Freight but some are diamond in the rough.

prolly chaiwanese.
but then, so is most of delta's line these days. maybe delta parts will fit it.
so post pics. and plug it in and make sumpthin' already.
On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:23:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

Googled "Professional Woodworker" and from the results kinda figgered it was a Homier product. And, in little bitty letters, there's a "Made in China". Don't need any repairs, yet. But, since I've never owned a lathe before, I'll be needing turning tools and possibly a faceplate, chuck, etc. Hopefully, it's a standard screw thread I'm dealing with.
Can't make nothin' yet since my workshop is currently in one mell of a hess. Started a project to expand the workshop building to make room for a tractor/equipment shed and some additional workshop floor space.
Today is maybe the 4th day since we opened the foundation in mid October that it hasn't been raining or snowing. The ground is so muddy and slick that walking around is a real exercise in keeping your balance. Not to mention building up your thigh muscles due to the 20# of clay firmly attached to each shoe. My shoes haven't been inside the house for over a month. But we did get the foundation and equipment shed floor poured. The shop subfloor and DC ducting is in, wall framing is almost complete and the roof trusses are on site. Expect delivery of the cyclone later this week or first of next week.
Now if just won't rain before the ground dries enough to get a crane on site to place the trusses (32' span is more than I want to try to raise by hand) we can get the roof framed. We plan on stripping the siding off the adjoining wall on the existing building this afternoon so we can complete framing the new walls.
This has to have been the wettest Autumn in Wichita history.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA