Problems with shaper

Hi All, I just bought a used Grizzly G1035 shaper and I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of minor problems. The first, and most important, is that the spindle is not perfectly vertical from side to side; that is to say, while the spindle is an equal distance from the edges of the hole in the table insert from front to back, it is almost touching the table insert on one side, and very far from it on the other. I have studied the manual, but have not seen any information on how to adjust the spindle. Can anyone help? Secondly, the table inserts seem to be VERY tight. It was extremely difficult for me to remove them from the table. Is this normal? Should I sand the edges lightly or something to make them looser in the opening? The only thing I could think of to adjust the spindle was to adjust the gib, but I thought I would check first. Another problem I seem to be having is that the spindle is very difficult to move up and down, even with the spindle lock backed off, which also suggests to me that the gib is adjusted wrong, but I am not sure. Thanks in advance, lawnturnips
[...]
I'm not sure I udnerstand correctly but doesn't the motor/spindle assembly hang on three or four bolts inter the table? Couldn't you, using some shim stock adjust and shim the assembly?
John
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Eddie Munster wrote:

I'm <sure> I don't understand...the vertical alignment would be whether the shaft is square to the table, but he's talking (apprently) about centering the shaft in the table shaft/cutter clearance hole???
Hmmm....THAT'S the phrasing I wanted...the spindle is not square to the table. The problem is that the spindle IS square to the table from front to back, but not from side to side. The motor is mounted separately from the spindle assembly, but yes, it might be possible to loosen the bolts holding the spindle mount to the frame and shift it sideways. The problem is, since the manual doesn't mention this problem, I am just checking to make sure there isn't some easier, built-in way to accomplish the same task in a controlled fashion, rather than try to randomly shift the spindle mounting.
Well mine is different. It all hangs on three, it think, bolts, and I loosened them and recentered it. It was square enough but if I wanted to mess with it I just would have shimmed it. But mine was a Delta. Yes can't hurt to call Grizzly. If you ever do loosen anything like that be sure not to loosen too much or it will be a big fiasco and injury if it drops.
[...]

table. The problem is that

to side. The motor is mounted

loosen the bolts holding the

the manual doesn't mention

built-in way to accomplish the

spindle mounting.

You might ask Grizzly, but you might also check to see if you can adjust the table top. That might be easier than moving the spindle.
--

Roger Shoaf

Yes, call Grizz. They are pretty good at getting the right guy on the phone with the know how.