Problems with rec.woodworking server?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone else having problems? I haven't seen any new messages in about 24hrs. I doubt everyone just took a break. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I am seeing them but oddly I am using ATT and Gignews, ATT shows more than Giganews.
I'm using mozarella and I'm not getting anything newer than yesterday afternoon. Their website says everything is fine with their 3 servers. I've changed nothing on my end. Strange.
I'm seeing your replies on google groups.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Which news server? Header makes it look like aioe.org which I'm also using w/ T-bird (altho I've ignored their updates for quite a while) so perhaps there's a problem there if you've updated recently???
Don't think there's a problem w/ their servers afaict.
Might try unsubscribing and then resubscribing to groups...
dpb wrote:

OBTW -- what about other groups? Or is this only r.w?

Try refreshing your browser.
Everything in this NG is coming through fine although three or four emails to me were repeated about a dozen times earlier this morning.

There isn't any such thing as a 'rec.woodworking server' as referenced in the title of your post. That's not how UseNet works; rather, every group is propagated to a very large number of servers. No group -- at least no group in the "Big Eight" hierarchy -- is hosted by a single server.
If you're not seeing any articles, then look to your own newsserver, or to your client.
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 20:36:57 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Right on Doug! When a newsgroup server is specified in your newsreader, that is the server to suspect. Usually, the server is the Internet Server Provider (ie, AT&T, Comcast, etc) server, but not always. If you can not access posts in rec.woodworking, wait and try again in a couple hours, then call technical support. Not typical but there can be more than one server and it may not be related to your ISP.

I've been seeing messages throughout the day. Not a lot of traffic, but some.
BTW - there is no rec.woodworking server.
-Mike- snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEwindstream.net
I use Thunderbird newsreader via motzarella.org
The only way i know you guys are replying is by checking google groups.
--

-MIKE-

Ok, I'm back. I through out the system preference files and restarted.
--

-MIKE-

I have just erased a newsgroup from my newsreader and reinstalled it. That includes "reading" all the past posts. It worked some of the time.
-MIKE- wrote:

I also use Motzarella and Thunderbird. I had to delete rec.woodworking.dat and rec.woodworking.msf in the News.Motzarella.org directory to get it back. This is the second time this has happened, and the second time I spent an hour figuring out what needed done. Refreshing, unsubscribing and resubscribing doesn't fix it.
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

That's what I did. Next time, I'll try to remind *you.* :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Thanks, send me an email though, cause I most likely won't see it in the newsgroup, and will be searching through the Motzarlla site looking for the answer, yet again:-)
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

Reminds me of Comcast's phone on-hold message that says, "If you're having trouble with your internet connection, you can get help on Comcast's website." morons
FWIW, the past couple of days Motzarella's server status has shown all kinds of connection trouble. Seems all normal, now.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Tell me about it! At the same time this was happening, I was having trouble with my email. Finally I decided to look into it, went to the comcast support site, log on, do all sorts of crap and finally get to a thing for on line chat... click on that, cause it usually is faster than using the phone... press 1for Prussian, 2for Spanish, 3for english... 3 ....1for telephone, 2for Cable TV, 3for HS internet...3... and on and on and on.
So of course, the on line CHAT doesn't work, so, on to the phone... 10 minutes answering questions and the automated answer crap tells me to try going to the internet, a ton more fussing around, and finally, and still w/o talking to a human being, the voice male bitch says their is a longer than normal waiting time to talk to a person because they are experiencing EMAIL PROBLEMS... Thats ALL I wanted to know...sheese.
The email problem fixed itself eventually, but not the motzarella thingee. Actually, this same thing must have happened in January, because I found the fix, again, from postings in January...

Yes, must have been that new virus supposed to hit on 4/1. Screwed up comcast email as well:-)
--
Jack
Jack Stein wrote:

This usually happens when your news server resets the article numbering in the newsgroups. At that point, you have to get rid of all the old references and re-start. When Supernews does that, it really sucks because then ALL articles, going back for years are then "unread" and you either have to just take the loss and mark everything as read to start over or go back and pick through the postings.

Doesn't your newreader have the ability to sort by date? All you'd have to do is reload the headers, sort by date and then go from there.