problems with my new Porter Cable router

I just recieved a brand new Porter cable Model 694VK router (fixed base with plunge attachment). The problem I'm having is getting the blade to extend much farther than it does. I can only make very shallow route cuts on my boards when I know it should be capable of making deeper cuts. The intructions said to set the router bit into the collet all the way then back it out 1/16th of an inch and tighten. After that I go to adjust the depth by undoing the clamp on the base and twisting the motor unit deeper into the base. However even maxed out I still cannot reach the desired depth for my router bit to cut with. Any tips would be appreciated. FYI, I'm fairly new to woodworking but have used routers in the past.
Basspro* wrote:

There may be a burr in the groove on the fixed base your using which isn't allowing you to completely lower the motor into the base. Take off the base and examine it then take some 0000 steal wool(or 400 - 600 grit wet/dry paper) and sand both the motor housing and base inside. Apply a coat of wax and see if you can't get the motor further into the base. I'm able to take the routet collet into the base hole.
This link shows a photo of the router all the way in and the collet appears to be at the base. http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/694vk.htm?E+coastest
No affilitation with the above, just using it as a reference.
Gary
is your bit long enough?
when the router is all the way in the base the end of the collet nut should be just about flush with the base of the router.
try taking the motor all of the way out of the base and inspecting the inside of the base. there are several pins on the motor that ride in spiral grooves in the base. if these grooves are damaged or fouled with foreign material the router won't adjust correctly. when placing the motor back in the base make sure the right pin is in the right slot.     Bridger
On 5 Jan 2004 07:50:40 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote in message

How deep are you trying to rout? You may not have base screwed all the way up or you may need a bit with a longer shaft.
mike
One thing you might consider is if the bit is wider than the standard hole in the bottom of the base. I've heard they make the hole that small to prevent wide bits being used with the 1-1/4 HP router (i.e. you want a 2+ or 3+ for wider bits). But I just wanted to use roundover and chamfer bits (not panel raising bits for example) and even those wouldn't fit through the hole of the base.
In the beginning I just took the black phenolic plate off the base to use the bit but that made things pretty unstable. Since then I've built a router table and do most of my stuff there. I've been eyeballing a Pat Warner offset base for a while and I would suggest you look at one of those (with the larger hole for the bigger bits).
Good luck, Mike
PS. Pat's website: http://www.patwarner.com/offset_subbase.html
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Basspro*) wrote in message

Mike in Idaho wrote:

Yes that's a pain with this router. I opened up the hole by slowly screwing in the base with the router running on a round over bit that was bigger than the hole by about 1/8". It now works with other larger bits I've got but then I've also got a vs version I can use the bigger bits with.
Gary

That plunge base should allow you to damn near run the collet through the hole. If the collet is not that close, you got somthing out of adjustment.