Problems with Grizzly products, continued...

OK, so you all know the saga of the cracked mortiser base, the missing jointer and mobile base bolts/washers.

Well, today I put together the final part of my order, the 40" G1067G lathe. Got ready to put the bed assembly on the base, and saw a big ol' 3" crack down the middle of the face of the bed. Paint actually bends in toward the crack, so it was painted after it cracked, or as it was cracking, more likely.

CS was nice, as usual. because I want to keep the parts I have already assembled, they are only sending the bed. I will have to remove the head stock, etc., and send the old bed back. But, because I am not sending it all back, I have to pay for the new bed and then will be reimbursed for the old bed when they get it and confirm the defect.

I understand many of you have had great luck with Grizzly, but I have had next to none.

Reply to
Sammy

I wouldn't buy anymore of it if I were you.

djd

Reply to
D. J. Dorn

You're right. Sorry to say that they ended up 1 for 5, with 2 major cracks and an already-opened item.

I wanted to finish off my shop with their 14" drill press (G7944) but now I'd feel foolish buying from them.

Reply to
Sammy

Make sure that you get satisfaction before the item runs out of warantee, in most cases 1 year. After that even if the fault in in manufacturing you are out of luck they will make any excuse possible ...mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

I've got that unit and like it -- after having bought some rubber motor mounts to get rid of the vibration that they said was caused by an unbalanced rotor in the one I sent back, but was just as bad in the two replacements they sent (the second supposedly after having it checked out).

My take: Good value if you are willing to do some work to get it to work the way it should. But be careful not to spend more on modifications than a better unit would cost.

Reply to
alexy

Reply to
Sammy

I got them to replace some bandsaw parts for free after 2 years. I sent digital images of the manufacturing defect and the damage it caused through normal use. They made it right and I paid nothing.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Maybe you could just change buying habits. I saw last night in their latest Christmas catalog they've started selling Forrest WWII blades, 40 T, 1/8 kerf, for 89.99. I can't believe Forrest would be selling seconds with the name still on the blade.

Dan

Reply to
Dan