Problems nailing oak trim

Page 1 of 2
I am building Norm's router table. He finshes the edges of the plywood carcass with 3/4" x 3/4" oak trim. I have done this before on another project but I glued and clamped it. Since this is not a piece of furniture and there was a lot of trim to put on I decided to use glue and 3D finishing nails. I drilled pilot holes for each of the nails but 50% of them bent and I had to do them again. I wonder if I should have been using a different nail or.....................
I'd appreciate your suggestions for the future. I don't plan on buying a brad nailer anytime soon so I need to figure out how to solve this problem for the next project I do that needs nailing through oak.
TIA.
Dick Snyder
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:35:19 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

Have you considered a nail spinner? http://acmehardware.com/product_detail.aspx?skuC37374
Looks like a nail spinner is a device to prevent splitting. I solved that problem with pilot holes but my problem was nails bending while driving them home.

I've found the spinners handy for installing oak stair treads for 20 years.... I guess I could have saved 3 or 4 years if I hadn't been using it?
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:33:47 -0400, "Eric Ryder"

Thanks, Eric. Much better than a rejoinder from me.
That being said, I do know some people do not like them. A friend I loaned mine to recently did not like it when installing shoe moulding. As is said, YMMV. -- Igor
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:35:19 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

just glue and clamps is better.

USE GLUE and drill the holes a bit undersized AND all the way through.
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head off one of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your pilot hole.
Preston

Wanna bet?
David
Battleax wrote:

Pretty standard trim carpenter trick if waxed nails don't work.

Quite quickly will the nail will spin through the wood.

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor practice
Battleax wrote:

Seen it recommended often enough.
Josie

Actually, this works very well. I do it all the time in hickory and it's harder than oak.
Bryan

Not real hard at all. Poor practice? Why would you say such a thing?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

at all. The key is to use a corded drill that will spin the nail quickly.

The real problem with using a nail is that it denies one the pleasure of buying the proper tool for the job<g>
<snip>