Problem with TS Cast Iron Top? Help...

Hi All,

Recently got a Grizzly 1023 table saw and was setting it up last night. Once I had finished cleaning the gunk off the table i noticed white splotches on the surface. They look like mineral deposits or the kind of ghosting you might see from water damage in a finish. The surface is smooth, not pitted. I'd like to know if this is just cosmetic or perhaps a problem with the casting that could be a problem later on. The extension wings did not exhibit this flaw. I cleaned the surface with mineral spirits and a rag. Did same process with several other tools: bandsaw, jointer, shaper, sander etc and they all look fine.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Todd

Reply to
Todd Scarola

Todd,

you should be good to go if it's not pitted. Shine it up a bit with some abrasive pads, and apply a coat of paste wax (with OUT silicone) , like SC Johnson's paste wax). You will end up with "cosmetic" blemishes on the top from normal use, anyway.

dave

Todd Scarola wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

it may be signs of the casting not being properly seasoned prior to machineing. it may be fine as it cures or it may warp as it cures. american foundries used to fully cure castings before they would machine the final product but i doubt that the chiwanees foundries do.cast iron moves as is cures. if you dont wait for it to cure you can wind up with warped sagging or twisted parts. just one of the downfalls of the modern global economy IMHO. skeez

Reply to
skeezics

They used to throw the castings outside to weather for 6 months to a year. That allowed relieving of internal stresses which result in movement. They would then sandblast and mill the final product which would give a cast-iron table that hopefully would not move.

Prest>

Reply to
Preston Andreas

Todd, call or email grizzly. If there is a defect they probably will send you a new top.Most probably just cosmetic.

mike

Reply to
mike