Problem with new Grizzly jointer

I just bought a Grizzly 6" jointer (1028z I believe). The outfeed table will only go down about 1/4" which isnt far enough to use the knife gauge that comes with the jointer to check the blades for level and check the blade depth (in the cutterhead). The knife gauge sits on the outfeed table instead of the cutterhead (because the outfeed table wont lower enough to get out of the way. Grizzly support told me to adjust a bolt on the outfeed lever. I did that and turning the bolt one way does allow the outfeed table to travel further up, but turning it the other direction doesnt allow it to slide further down. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is (short of sending it back)?
I haven't tried to adjust the knives on my Grizz yet. Would a Jointer Pal help?
NM

How about putting a flat plate on the table to raise the gage?? Wilson