Problem with Bandsaw & ...

I have a Delta 16" bandsaw, model 28-560, motor model 62-070, purchased in Aug '92.

Too often, the spinning of the blade does not engage when I turn on the saw. The motor hums, but the blade does not activate. It works properly most of the time, then, sometimes, it does not work. I've never been able to figure out what may be wrong, but I am not a motor electrician. The motor is not in a load bind (that I am aware of), so that seems not to be the problem. I've had this problem, with this tool, for many years. Any suggestions?

Also, is there such a thing as a hand mortising tool, other than a flat chisel, ie., square shaped hand chisel? I have 48, really deep,

1/2" mortises to make and I'd prefer to clean/shape the drilled mortises with something other than a flat chisel.

Thanks for any help. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Three wheel right? I can't remember, does it have cap start, cap run? If so, good possibility is the centrifigal switch may be getting some dust in it periodically and the start cap is not switching in on shut down.

You might call Delta tech service, but, I don't think there is anyone left there who would remember this unit. It was discontinued around the time you purchased it. Blade life was an issue as it is with all three wheels, the turn radius is so small. Important on a three wheel to release the blade tension when not in use.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Reply to
goaway

The centrifical switch may be the problem, as noted. The motor doesn't turn, when this problem occurs. The rubbers on the three belt wheels, and the rubber on the motor wheel, are not stuck to the blade. I will look into cleaning the switch and other internal parts. I had blown the motor with the air hose, hoping this would help, but no. However, I hadn't dissembled the motor from the machine or from its housing.

With regard to blade life on this model: Yep, I had experienced this, for a while, but not with alignment, resulting in blade wear or sharpness. I had blade breakage. The wheel rubbers would stretch out and loosened on the wheels, causing the blade to migrate off the wheels. I duct taped the rubbers in place. I haven't had a similar blade problem in years, however, I don't use 1/8" or 1/4" blades, anymore. Those size blades were particularly troublesome. I think I've had the same 1/2" blade on the tool for at least 2 years, and it's still in good shape. And I do release the tension every time I finish sawing.

Thanks guys. Very helpful! Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Two ways the switch can cause a problem. Most are dustproof, that is they have a rubber boot encasing the contacts. If that boot has slipped off, contacts can get dust in them and then the boot works in a negative way keeping the dust in.

Second is that the centrifical mechanism is not returning all the way on shut down, maybe a weak or broken spring, or dirt build up on the slide area on the shaft.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

The problem sounds to me like the symptom of a blown start capacitor. If you've recently stalled the bandsaw, it may have caused the motor to overheat melting the wax insulation in the capacitor, shorting it out.

Reply to
Nova

Find a local electric motor repair guy and take it to him if you are not a "motor guy". I have an old vertical mill that gets that problem about every 10 years or so. I just have him fix it. It has always been the centrifugal switch, but, as others have said, it could be the starting capacitor.

I have seen corner chisels for the mortise issue.

Pete Stanaitis

S> I have a Delta 16" bandsaw, model 28-560, motor model 62-070,

Reply to
spaco

I am happy to report I have discovered the centrifical switch, it was jammed with sawdust, it was not sealed against dust and debris, it has been cleaned and the tool is working fine, again. Thanks everyone.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny