Problem with a Delta Planer

From another forum: I guy has a feed problem with his planer and takes it to a repair depot and eventually posts the following which I thought might be of interest for those who work in cold shops. ...............

"Delta called me today to say that they found no problems with the planer. They had tested with a couple of boards and there was no jerkiness whatsoever. So I asked if they ran hard maple thru in which they said no. So i jumped in my car with a couple of maple boards and went into the shop with them. He was right, no issues...it planed as smooth as one would expect. I brought a couple of other boards to show the pattern on the boards from my planing the night before and they agreed it looked suspicious. We tried about 20 passes and everything was perfect. I am very confused but can't argue with the results. Then an older fellow came over and asked what the temp of the shop was, I was in. I told him it was my garage and that at best I get it up to 50 degrees. He looked at the rollers and came to the conclusion that the cold temp was hardening the rollers just enough that with the bit of dirt I had, it was probably my issue. Recommended I go home, clean the rollers with paint thinner, than hot soapy water and give it another try. So I go home, put the planer in the garage, go back to work. Come back 6 hrs later, get the heaters going, get the temp up to maybe 50 and try planing some maple...sure enough, jerky, jerky, jerky. So, I clean as per instructed and just for safety, rewax the tables.....planes like a charm now!

Jeepers, i would have never thought the temp could effect things like that. Sorry for the length here but it was a valuable lesson for myself and hopefully others. "

Reply to
JGS

Hmmm, I thought alcohol was the appropriate cleaner for the rollers; not a petroleum based solvent.

David

JGS wrote:

Reply to
David

Non-polar solvent for resins.

Reply to
George

You like that term (polar), don't you, George?

David

George wrote:

Reply to
David

I've always found learning proper terminology invaluable in acquiring information.

Solvents immiscible with water dissolve substances immiscible with water and vice-versa.

Which means, like, oil and water don't mix, y'know.

Reply to
George

Thanks for the feedback. I have had a similar problem with my Delta planer and now wonder if that isn't my problem also. I keep mine in the basement where it doesn't get much over 60. Sometimes it works really well and other times the chips seem to get all clogged up and it just doesn't plane well.

Tim

JGS wrote:

Reply to
TDUP

Yup. Delta's official method of cleaning the rollers is soap and water applied with a Scotchbrite pad.

David

George wrote:

Reply to
David