Problem Stapling Vinyl to Plywood

I bought a Pasolde 100 Upholstery stapler to attach vinyl to plywood frames. When we shoot the staples they just about go through the vinyl and any stretching causes the vinyl to pull through. The vinyl supplier said it is marine grade (aka good) material. There is no depth adjustment (or safety) on this model. The manual says to use between 80 and 100 psi. Even with the pressure turned down to 40psi, the minimum required to operate the unit, the problem persists. Is there a technique we should be using or other tricks required for vinyl? Could it be a defective gun? Does someone have a different model that works with vinyl? We reverted to the hand stapler for that project but need something better for the next. Thanks, JG
Sounds like the driver blade is going too far. Test it out by stapling some other kind of material to the same wood and see if that makes any difference. If not, might be defective. i have an el-cheapo upholstery stapler (HF type) and no such problem.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System - Senco 41XP Finish Nailer (Review Update) - "Orbiter" Drill Accessory - "Vertiacc" Vertical Drill Press Accessory - Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler - Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage ------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps a cardboard strip, like a tacking strip sans the tacks, over the vinyl would stem the problem?
John
JGS wrote:

Check how far the striker tongue protrudes from the nozzle when fired. You can always file it down a bit and try again until you get it right. As you are considering replacing the unit, It's a nothing tried nothing gained situation :) Regards John
John B wrote:

You should be able to control the penetration by either a mechanical adjustment or controlling the air pressure.
Turning the edge of the vinyl under and stapling through a double thickness may help but should not be required.
Have a look at this site:
http://www.itwconstruction.ca/cgi-bin/showproduct.asp?prodcode=US-100&paslode=1
it gives a link to the product manual for stapler US-100.
Page 13 )I think) says if fasteners penetrate too deeply adjust the contract piece.

extend the nosepiece as required.
Good luck with it.
--------------720B7272673E626E2604849B Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Thanks.. I loosened the screws and found, however, no room for movement. Looks like it's a job for the supplier. Cheers, JG
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--------------720B7272673E626E2604849B Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> &nbsp;Thanks.. I loosened the screws and found, however, no room for movement. Looks like it's a job for the supplier. Cheers, JG
--------------720B7272673E626E2604849B--

Are you using narrow staples or wide staples? Wide staples will be less likely to go through the material.
3/8" Leon. Cheers, JG
Leon wrote:

How about putting a thin strip of cardboard between the vinyl and the staple (and perhaps fold the vinyl back over the cardboard before stapling?
scott