Problem installing Tradesman drillpress - "locking" spindle arbor into the spindle

I'm installing my new Tradesman 13" 12-speed drillpress and I am having problems with the "next to the last" step. Figures, huh?
As instructed, I cleaned the tapered hole in the chuck and the tapered surface of the arbor and set the arbor into the chuck. This worked fine. Next, I lowered the spindle (by turning the feed handles anticlockwise) until the slot appeared on the side. Again ... no problem.
NOW ... I'm instructed to push the chuck and spindle arbor up into the spindle to "engage" and "lock" it in the inner slot of the spindle.
Through the slot, I can see the upper narrow end of the spindle arbor shank going into the spindle as described. But I can't figure out how to "lock" it into place.
Am I supposed to push harder? What exactly locks this into place?
Would anyone out there know how to do this with the Tradesman? Thanks!
Jack
HIT it with a rubber or wooden mallet.
HIT it with a rubber or wooden mallet.
If you mean hit the chuck w/ a mallet, open the chuck till the jaws are inside the housing.
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" <"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"> wrote:

Friction, my man, friction. Retract the chuck jaws into the chuck body and give it a few moderate taps upwards with a twobafour. If it still falls out, pop the chuck and taper into the fridge or freezer for a few hours and then tap it into the DP spindle. As the cold taper expands, it will help "lock" it in place.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company