Problem Installing Delta Extension Table On Unisaw

I'm (still) putting together my Unisaw that came with the right side extension table and mobile base. I have the saw on the mobile base and the cast iron wing tables on both sides of the saw. Now I'm trying to get the right side (wood) extension table installed and I'm not making good progress. At this point I think the wood extension table is not flat.

When I put my 4' level on the top of the extension table (loosely installed on the saw and mobile base) I get a gap in about the middle of the table (lengthwise, not front/back) that is about 3/32". When I put the level on the bottom of the front of the table the level rocks. So based on both these observations I'm thinking that the extension table itself is not flat. (I have turned the level over and get the same reading. So I'm pretty sure that my level isn't the problem.)

Is there anything I could have done to cause this? The extension table has been sitting in my garage for about three weeks leaning up against a wall (almost vertical).

Is there any way that I can correct this? It seems severe enough to me that I'm not going to be able to do anything about it and I'm going to have to ask Delta to send a new table.

Thanks,

-- Jim

Reply to
jegan

Jim,

When I set up my Jet cabinet saw it took a bit of tinkering to get the extension table in the same plane as the cast iron table over it's length and front to back. The cast iron table was leveled in all directions first. Then I started working from the cast iron table end and worked my way out towards the other end using a 4" level and screwing it in place a set of holes (front and back) at a time. There was enough flex in the table to straighten it out using this approach. Setting the height of the table legs to final position was the final step. It seemed to be more of a process issue than a product issue in my case as when I first assembled it I just bolted it in place and it was way off! From your description I suspect it may be the same for you.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I, too, had the same problem. After lengthy attempts I contacted Biesemeyer and they are shipping out another right extension. Seems they've been having problems with QC. I found it tough to trying and remove a 1/8" concave from the middle of the extension.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Robison

I think my problems are getting worse. I have spent hours assembling my saw (saw, outfeed table, extenstion table and mobile base). Now I'm spending even more hours trying to get everything parallel. I am not an idiot, but this process is making me feel like one.

FWIW, I have a TS-Aligner Jr that I'm using.

I can get the left miter slot parallel to the blade within .002". I can't seem to get it any better than that. The right miter slot appears to be close to parallel with the left slot. When I swap the TS-Aligner to the right slot and run it against the blade I get just about the same variance using the same spot on the blade.

Aligning the fence to the right slot however isn't going too well. As near as I can tell the fence is bent. I have placed a tape measure on the fence with the end of the tape (0") on the outfeed end of the fence. I start the TS-Aligner at the 35" mark and zero it out. It runs with less than .001" variance up to the 16.5" mark and then all hell breaks loose. By the end of the miter slot there is a variance of .030". This is with the fence in the vertical position. When I switch it to the horizontal position I have a "bend" of .010".

I'm going to have a little chat with Delta on Monday. My question to the experts here is "how close is close enough?" Should I have my blade aligned to my miter slot better than within .002" variance? How much variance in the fence is acceptable?

-- Jim

Reply to
jegan

I had my chat with Delta this morning. Replacement parts are on the way. No quibbling. I like that they are responsive, but I would like it even more if the parts had arrived in perfect condition. They also scheduled a technician to talk with me regarding my setup difficulties. We'll see...

-- Jim

Reply to
jegan