Probably a dumb question....

Greetings, All--
Okay, I've been lurking on this group for a roughly a month or so. Every so often, I read a post with reference to something called "the Borg." It's seems like a reference to a shop or something, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it means.
Can someone explain it to me?
Thanks.
Scott
Scott Vajdos wrote:

Big orange retail giant.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Scott Vajdos wrote:

"Scott Vajdos" <wrote in message

Generally used synonymously for Home Depot, Lowes, or some similar "big box" outfit.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

It's a descriptor for the home-improvement super-stores -- like Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's, etc. In other contexts, it may be generalized to other super-stores -- e.g., Wal-Mart -- as well.
It's a "weak pun" from the like-named alien species in the syndicated TV series "Star Trek: The Next Generation". A couple of the 'primary characteristics' of _that_ Borg are that they travel in _large_ 'box shaped' vessels, and their mantra is "Resistance is Futile. Prepare to be assimilated."
The similarities to any of the super-stores, and what happens to the 'local' stores that are in the same market, is obvious.
It's also proposed that it is an acronym, standing for "<B>ig <O>range <R>etail <G>iant".
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message

If your description isn't in the FAQ, as written, it should be.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04