Probably a dumb question....

Greetings, All--

Okay, I've been lurking on this group for a roughly a month or so. Every so often, I read a post with reference to something called "the Borg." It's seems like a reference to a shop or something, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it means.

Can someone explain it to me?

Thanks.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Vajdos

Big orange retail giant.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Reply to
Pat Barber

"Scott Vajdos" Greetings, All--

Generally used synonymously for Home Depot, Lowes, or some similar "big box" outfit.

Reply to
Swingman

It's a descriptor for the home-improvement super-stores -- like Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's, etc. In other contexts, it may be generalized to other super-stores -- e.g., Wal-Mart -- as well.

It's a "weak pun" from the like-named alien species in the syndicated TV series "Star Trek: The Next Generation". A couple of the 'primary characteristics' of _that_ Borg are that they travel in _large_ 'box shaped' vessels, and their mantra is "Resistance is Futile. Prepare to be assimilated."

The similarities to any of the super-stores, and what happens to the 'local' stores that are in the same market, is obvious.

It's also proposed that it is an acronym, standing for "ig range etail iant".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

If your description isn't in the FAQ, as written, it should be.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
larry in cinci