Priming MDF.

Somebody suggested to me that B-I-N was good for priming MDF.

Anybody have any experience with this or wish to make a recommendation ?

Thanks.

Reply to
SDogg

It's awesome for MDF. It dries hard and sands very well. Plain old Seal Coat also works well, but I give the nod to BIN for the white pigment. I've also tried auto body primer, glue size, drywall compound, and others. I always seem to go back to BIN or Seal Coat.

FWIW, we've gone around on the 'wreck a few times on what BIN is. The latest cans I've purchased have "Shellac Base" in yellow, right on the front of the can.

Does Zinnser lurk?

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is MDF short for?

Reply to
Donald Guzzetta

no sweat = only way to learn is to ask

medium density fiberboard

Reply to
Jim Wheeler

Exposed core of MDF can sure suck up paint.

I happened to have a can of latex galvanized steel primer out for a different project. What the heck, tried it on a small project. Brush primed the edges. Sprayed project with rattle can paint - great.

DanG

I've always understood BIN to be a 4 pound cut shellac with a hefty amount of white pigment added. Probably has a few other minor ingredients as well.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Wheeler

I want to attempt a piano style finish on MDF with BIN then some Flecto Varathane Liquid Plastic. Anyone do this before ?

Sean.

Ba r r y wrote:

Reply to
SDogg

No, but I've done it with BIN and lacquer.

Lacquers really rub out to a killer gloss.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Reply to
SDogg

It's plenty durable. High-end furniture, musical instruments, like pianos and custom guitars, and custom cars are finished with Nitrocellulose lacquer.

It involves, priming & filling, wet sanding, color coats, and clear coats. Dewaxed shellac, like Zinnser Seal Coat, works great as a barrier coat between products. The final coats are rubbed out to a wet-like shine with automotive polishing compounds. This process isn't difficult, but it is time consuming.

Lacquer dries hard, so it rubs out well. Liquid plastics and polyurethanes build quickly, but stay soft for a long time.

Try some test boards, write your steps on the back for troubleshooting or success duplication, and have at it!

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Reply to
GerryG

"Polyurethane" covers a wide range of compositions--some are quite soft, some are quite hard.

Reply to
J. Clarke