Pricing/Estimates

How do you professional guys calculate your estimates and pricing for jobs? Say, a manufacture of kitchen cabinets and installation with materials figured in?

Tmnjack

Reply to
TmnJack

poorly.

it's something I really need to get better at if I'm ever gonna make any money at this.

Reply to
bridger

Years of experience and still learning the hard way by under pricing or not getting jobs from over pricing. You more or less have to know what the market will bear for a shop rate and then learn to estimate the hours involve to manufacture and the material cost and then come up with a price.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Melanson

Mon, Aug 2, 2004, 4:35am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (TmnJack) wonders: How do you professional guys calculate your estimates and pricing for jobs? Say, a manufacture of kitchen cabinets and installation with materials figured in?

Well, there's several ways. One very reliable way is to start out with a real low price, then when you get swamped with work, keep raising your price untill the workload evens out. Of course, there is the minor matter of maybe going broke and going out of business before the work evens out, but other than that, no prob.

Or, you could check the archives. This subject has been gone over, and over, and over, several times. A small hint - prices vary by area - prices will be higher, for the same work, in San Francisco, then say, a small West Vriginia town.

The highway of fear is the road to defeat.

- Bazooka Joe JERUSALEM RIDGE

J T

Google for Tom Watson on 2-11-2004. Everything you probaly need to know.

-- John, in Minnesota

Reply to
John, in MN

Generally I go with 5 times the retail price of materials OR retail price of materials plus at least $250.00 per day. This per day price includes drawing time, time for obtaining materials, and meeting with the customer.

Reply to
Leon

heh. wrong year. here it is:

bridger

that.

-- John, in Minnesota (Sitting here wondering where 2003 and now most of 2004 went.)

Reply to
John, in MN

It's a question people usually ask after they've tried to do it a few times.

The guys you should ask are the ones who have health insurance, well maintained teeth and who can take some time off now and then....and, almost forgot...who have a place to sleep other than their shop.

The others, gap-toothed and hairy, who either smile too much or not at all, can probably tell you some entertaining stories. You should listen...and learn.

phil

Reply to
Phil

yep. I remember the post too, and it didn't seem that long ago.

speaking of tom, is anybody in touch with him? it just doesn't seem the same....

Reply to
bridger