Price of wood?

I have bought a small amount of rough cut cherry (bandsawed). The farmer I bought it from is charging $1.50 a board ft. (not linear ft.) The boards are

4 to 8 inches wide, 1 inch thick and 8 ft. long. Is this a good price or not? Does anybody know?

Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ron Stitt

Kiln Dried Cherry FAS is currently running about 5 to 5.50 Per Board foot for 4/4

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Let's put it this way. I'll take all he's got at that price. It runs $4 a bd ft and up at lumber yards.

Reply to
Bruce

If it is good wood, in other words has been treated well from harvesting through sawing through drying, and looks good then that is probably an excellent price. On the other hand, if it has been abused in any major way and you don't know about it and you waste your time and materials making a project from it that winds up as firewood then it is wildly overpriced. In other words, quality not quantity is what matters. I have bought excellent roughsawn cherry for around $2.00/bf and poor for $5.00...

Reply to
John McGaw

-- In His Name, be Blessed,

It can be a good price, but go to a lumber yard where the actually cut rough lumber or call around and ask them.. Here in North Western North Carolina rough Cherry goes for $1.00 /bf. unfortunately when you buy it around here they want you to buy a thousand bf.. I must admit I like cherry as much as the next fellow, but not 1,000 bf of the stuff..

God Bless,

Mike

PS. Before you reply, remove 'remove-this-before-you-email' from my Email Address please..

Reply to
Mike Zuchick

If it is dried, yes. If it is not dried, no.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:32:11 GMT, Phisherman Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

why not? if you have the space to let it dry, and the patience to let it do so,,,its a steal!

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Traves asks:

Nah. You always have some losses in drying, end checking and such. Thus, it's worth more if the losses are already taken into consideration.

AFAIC, green cherry is worth about 80 cents a board foot.

Charlie Self

"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

Not really. A little over a year ago I bought a felled cherry log and had a sawyer mill it to 5/4 stock. The yield was about 1400 bd/ft. My cost, including the sawyer's fee, was $600 or just under $0.43 bd/ft. End sealer, purchasing stickers, and constructing an elevated platform sticker outside, corrugated steel to cover the pile added another $300. That's not mentioning the time to air dry it.

$1.50 for green cherry is expensive.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova