Price of wood?

I have bought a small amount of rough cut cherry (bandsawed). The farmer I bought it from is charging $1.50 a board ft. (not linear ft.) The boards are 4 to 8 inches wide, 1 inch thick and 8 ft. long. Is this a good price or not? Does anybody know?
Thanks Ron
Kiln Dried Cherry FAS is currently running about 5 to 5.50 Per Board foot for 4/4

are
In rec.woodworking

Let's put it this way. I'll take all he's got at that price. It runs $4 a bd ft and up at lumber yards.

are
If it is good wood, in other words has been treated well from harvesting through sawing through drying, and looks good then that is probably an excellent price. On the other hand, if it has been abused in any major way and you don't know about it and you waste your time and materials making a project from it that winds up as firewood then it is wildly overpriced. In other words, quality not quantity is what matters. I have bought excellent roughsawn cherry for around $2.00/bf and poor for $5.00...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

are

If it is dried, yes. If it is not dried, no.
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:
snip

why not? if you have the space to let it dry, and the patience to let it do so,,,its a steal!
Traves
Traves asks:

Nah. You always have some losses in drying, end checking and such. Thus, it's worth more if the losses are already taken into consideration.
AFAIC, green cherry is worth about 80 cents a board foot.
Charlie Self
"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers
"Traves W. Coppock" wrote:

Not really. A little over a year ago I bought a felled cherry log and had a sawyer mill it to 5/4 stock. The yield was about 1400 bd/ft. My cost, including the sawyer's fee, was $600 or just under $0.43 bd/ft. End sealer, purchasing stickers, and constructing an elevated platform sticker outside, corrugated steel to cover the pile added another $300. That's not mentioning the time to air dry it.
$1.50 for green cherry is expensive.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA