price of timber uk

Could anyone tell me if 175 pounds+vat per cubic metre for 1" by 8" pse redwood sixths is good . tia.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:34:05 +0000, Mike Hide wrote:

Planed Square Edged (also known as PAR, Planed All Round).
Cheers,
Andy
OK, now "sixths" ????
-- mike hide

One other thing are we talking California Redwood ,or some kind of red wood either natural of stained ???
-- mike hide

wood
european redwood ,from scandinavia- pinus sylvestris, I think as opposed to whitewood or yellow pine. Importers in north uk dont seem to deal in any exotics . All pine furniture seems to be made of it nowadays.
sixths is the cheapest grade , fifths is next up and costs about 50 quid more, the better grades are sold as unsorted (think of it as being not relegated to the lower categories)

Hi Dave,
I usually reckon to pay 105 pounds ex VAT per 100 metres of 50 x 75 mm redwood (ie 3" x 2") sorted 5ths (ie 1.05 per metre) from Travis Perkins. I reckon there's about 280 metres of that stuff in a cubic metre, which would be about 300 quid at TP prices.
Seems pretty cheap if it's straight and not too badly knotted.
Of course, you'd probably get selected walnut for that price in the US! :))
Cheers
Frank

A few other links to consider http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk / http://www.ttf.co.uk/index1.asp http://extra.buildforum.com/woodfocus/buyers_guide /
I sell to the UK www.vmtw.com