price of oak

Page 2 of 2

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

rough
Forgot to mention. When you buy wood at the low prices, you will usually be required to buy the entire board, as is. That means you will get waste, from 5% to 25%. If you need two pieces 3" wide and the supplier only has 5" wide stock, it had either be long enough for the two, or you buy two boards. If it is 7 1/2" wide, you pay for it all even if you are only using 6" of it. Of course, we often use then up on other small projects later. Ed

Don't know why, but at Lowes and HD hardwoods sold as dressed lumber. Oak is sold for 3-4 dollars a board foot, rough sawn. Except for a small amount, I'd avoid do-it-yourself stores.
Upon reading the receipt a little closer I discovered they were selling the oak "per lineal foot" $2.59 / foot X 6. Go figure. Joe

the
That is normally the way that S4S lumber is sold. Still, they must have seen you coming. You paid triple normal S4S prices for regular oak.
KB8QLR wrote:

You don't say where you're located. To give this some perspective in the US take a look at <http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Merchant3/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WS&Category_Code=Oak_Red , which will sell you 20 board feet of red oak, surfaced 2 sides, for $4.50/board foot, delivered west of the Mississippi ($10 flat charge for east). Also take a look at <http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/products.htm and <http://www.harrisent.com/PLLumber.html , both of which are local to me, and both of which charge $3.10/board foot for red oak, in each case surfaced two sides.
The price you were charged, unless there was something really unusual about that board, is exceedingly high. If there's not a reasonably priced hardwood lumberyard in your area that will sell retail then consider mail order.

--
--John
You must live the LA area...Sounds like Home Depot price out here god where can I buy from a large inventory I need couple hundred bf or Qsawn WOak, nothing open on the weeknds anyways thats my rant.

I'm replacing all the baseboards and window trim in my place with white oak, I get it from my neighbour at $3 per board ft. delivered to my driveway. The mill 40 miles away sells it for $3.50 / bd. ft. + tax and I pick it up. The neighbours has been air dried in a shed for about 10 years since just before he retired. I have one window left to do in the living room and ran out of wood since I was in there anyway I decided to check the price at the local home hardware. They only had a small amount and guess what, just about the same a 1 x 2 x 72 piece $16 + tax. I think I will get another couple hundred board feet from the neighbour this week and no tax.
Rick