PRICE INCREASE Down to two models Experience Feedback? (router tables)

this looks like the 2 that fit my requirements just a few dollars more

Table Top, Fence, Sled & Stand 05J20.23 $364.00

begin 666 view_On.gif M1TE&.#EA' `+`( `````_____R'Y! ``````+ `````KO5RV%(]8F&LI2@NGKNZ7QR.[]GE[76SO?^SRL``#L` ` end

begin 666 instr_Off.gif M1TE&.#EA&@`+`( ``,S,S/___R'Y! ``````+ `````:``L```(JC VGBZSI F&(P0V'E1VJL>WE33UY06&8PH]IB.%Y)P5Z:::$?ZSO?^;R@``#L` ` end

begin 666 add2cart.gif M1TE&.#EA&@`4`,0?`````/[+`.J[`)5W`6A3`^;AT):*7?7$`-C/K*:%`-:K M`#@M`+R6`>/(9]6\8\.#$@^8A2:?0MP30P>4 -Z29,2HSX$ M`!*^0P\#7!\&`PP*,189019(0PH,`P9:&+"0@$$&!1,2*IR@0$$&!@DL!-3! ?@8"%`0DR:MPXP (!#CI8%#!@`(+)DR9)!,8;$0(`.P`` ` end

Reply to
HMFIC- 1369

l2.html#heavyweight_table_anchor

I've never seen or heard of the first table. It looks like a lot of stuff for the money - impressive!

I own the Veritas system, except for the stand. I built my own stand. The Veritas system is one of those "different drummer" type of things. You'll be luke-warm about it or love it. I'll list my observations

  1. the router mounting system really does work well. I originally used it with my Dewalt DW-621, which has a real odd duck base. Now I have a Triton router mounted. The mounting system set up quickly and held both routers like a rock.
  2. The steel top provides an extremely stiff flat working surface. I could not ask for more.
  3. The top is rather small. I knew this when I bought it. I figured I could mount it into a larger table, if that ever proved to be a limitation. I have not found it to be a problem yet. The fact that the fence can be mounted in any direction (side to side or front to back) helps optimize the use of the table. Also the lower half of the fence splits up to 8 inches, allowing you to pass a board through it for cross routing.
  4. The fence is excellent and very stiff and adjustable. The micro-adjust is pretty rudimentary, but it works.
  5. I purchased some extra brass fence stops. These have proven to be handy.
  6. You cannot use feather boards that ride in a miter slot because there is no miter slot. I am thinking about buying the optional hold down system. I have used it successfully with my grip-tite magnetic featherboards but I don't think these work as well as a miter track featherboard.
  7. The steel top is much more subject to rust than cast iron surfaces. This is the same experience I have with the steel grip-tite fence on my table saw. You really have to keep after it with appropriate anti-rust measures. I live in Houston and my experience is coming from our soggy summer weather. It won't be as much of a problem during the fall-winter-spring months.
  8. The fence and right angle sled have all kinds of adjustments that require different allen wrench and slotted head screws to adjust. I have written Lee Valley and told them its a bit of a pain to have so many different tools required to make all the adjustments. They passed these comments to their product development group.
  9. The right angle sled is quite gadgety and seemed kind of neat at first. It works well but requires various adjustments to accomplish all its feats. It has a nice finger joint capability which I have never used. In practice, I'm thinking that Leon's square piece of plywood may work just as well and with much less fuss.
  10. The fence position is adjusted by clamps on the side of the table. Its very easy and fast to make coarse adjustments. I like it.
  11. I purchased the optional magnetic dust chute and love it. The ability to place dust collection anywhere on the table and at any angle is great. Fence dust collection is useless if you are doing any fence-less operations, like edge work with a bear guided bit. I can place the dust chute at the exact location where the chips are flying and do a decent job of getting most of it. I am using my shop vac 2" hose connected to the chute. By the way, I think the chute is over-priced but would buy it again.

I have really enjoyed having a nice precise router system. The precision of my work has gone way up and I find myself using the router much more than I used to. Part of the credit goes to the Triton router, which allows quick adjustments and bit changes. Set up time with the router and fence is very fast, eliminating the hassle factor in deciding whether to use the router or not.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

> l2.html#heavyweight_table_anchor

A lot of what I see in Router Tables are trade offs. Not one alone is perfect but if you combined features, you'd have it. You really have the Veritas down pat and still seems to be the true front runner... If I pass on the sled I save a few bucks!!!

I'm trying to look into the European models now just to see how they compare Festool looks nice but haven't got much closer then a stupid web pic.

I did (duh) also see the Grizzly sliding table... This requires some review table size in adequate. The slider????

If I wanted the laminate... I think woodpeckers would be out in front.

I'll decide by next week and just whip out the credit card and live with it......

I'll post what ever I can find on the European models just for comparison.....

Thanks, your response well written and to the point laid out the pro's and con's quite well... and it looks like the right angle sled could be left at the company's shelf!

Joe

Reply to
HMFIC- 1369