Price for Laguna LT16 Bandsaw

Has anyone recently purchased a Laguna LT16 bandsaw? What did you pay for it? I was at the Laguna showroom in Irvine, CA today and the saleman quoted me $1295 for the saw (shipping extra). I've read some of the old threads here on the rec and it looks like people were getting it for $1095 a couple years back or so. Anyone have recent data?

Robert

Reply to
Robert

The price on the Laguna website is $1395. Prices have gone up because of the miserable exchange rates between US and Europe. Laguna bandsaws are made in Italy and Bulgaria, therefore the higher prices. They are great saws, but I think they are really challenged with the exchange rate to remain competitive.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Robert) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Well, the saw is made in Europe, and the dollar hasn't held up well against the euro. Even if it were the same saw, the price change would seem about right for the currency exchange rates. And Laguna may have made some changes to the saw as well. There were several variants of the LT16, which I considered....before spending most of the budget on a quilting machine for my wife, and buying a Jet.

The Laguna has an excellent reputation. I think that quality and longevity are going to be your 'deal', rather than saving a few dollars on the price of admission. Unless you can find one used...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Laguna Tools sells "pro-sumer" (higher end consumer) and pro machines. BUT - because their markets are aimed at people who know how to set up, tune and use machines, their customer support can be less than ideal for the beginning and maybe intermediate hobbyist.

I've got a Robland X31 combination machine which I bought from Laguna. It's a very versatile machine for a pretty good price. BUT - its set up is complicated, the owner/user's manual SUCKS! and LT's support has than stellar. I ended up going to the Robland factory in Brugge Belgium to see how they set up the machine and had to do my own users set up instructions - with help from other X31 owners in the Yahoo Robland X31 group.

I also have the LT 16SEC bandsaw. Despite the price tag, it came with a twisted table and a fence with large pits in the face. Took about three weeks to get the table and fence replaced. The saw itself works very well - especially with the LT ceramic guides.

BTW - don't make the mistake I made and order some 1" or 1 1/2" bandsaw blades thinking they're require for slicing up mini-logs and resawing. A 3/4" or 1/2" inch blade will work just fine.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Robert: Mine came here at about $1250, which reflected a show special price, extra blade, and about $150 shipping. That was five years ago.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall