Preventing toy box lid from slamming shut

Page 1 of 2
There must be a simple device that allows a lid to close slowly rather than to slam of fingers. The lid(s) weigh maybe 10 pounds but can really cause an injured finger. ( The lid is much too light for the type of device found on cars.)
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:vbno445p65lr4k2ap5c8jrno4qh6a0a6qm@ 4ax.com:

There are smaller varieties appropriate for your use. You just have to search for them <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageA0
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Now how in the world would the OP have found that?! I mean come on - it says in the description " Prevents lids from accidentally slamming shut on fingers." and there's no way he could have found that without searching for something obscure like, "prevent lid slam fingers". ;)
Google is the enemy, and you should keep your enemies close.
RicodJour wrote:

Very simple, "toy box support" or "toy box lid" its right in his Subject Matter.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

As far as you're concerned everyone is here to serve you?
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:40:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Jerks? Just because they pointed out something kind of obvious? I don't recall that any of those posters resorted to calling you any names for your original post. Funny you should feel the need...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Perhaps it's because the helpful folks get their info by doing a google search?

I didn't find the response to be too awful negative. A gentle nudge towards google is often a good way to be encouraging. Most people that first post to a forum like this typically later re-post about the abundance of information they found using google. All in all, a good thing. I still have a problem with the response that calls people jerks for doing exactly what you are doing - expressing an opinion.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:33:39 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

I look at it as teaching a man to fish.
Myself, I'll often post a link directly to the search.
The OP can then reply with a "Has anyone used one of these?" or a "Which of these three parts might work best?"
On Jun 9, 2:14 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I've helped in a positive manor - a small manor, I think it was a two door. ;)
As far as the bandwidth, that is no longer a concern for anyone as far as I can tell. People's time, however, is always in short supply, and what you've done is to ask a group of strangers to do a search for you. If you searched and didn't find anything, well, hell, post away, but otherwise it just comes across as laziness.
Don't worry about the jerk comment. I don't - I've been called far worse by far better people! ;)
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 14:14:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Have you considered that replying in the way you have might possibly cause someone's opinion of slide down hill?
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Give a man a fish and he'll try and figure out how to cook it and he'll eat for a day. Next day he's at your dock lookin for another one off your boat.
Give him a fishing pole and simple instructions and he'll still probably show up at your boat, but at least he'll know how to do it.
They gave you the pole. You thought it was the shaft.
Tanus
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There is such a device. For an example see:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_IDA0
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Jun 8, 6:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Try www.mcmaster.com and search for gas springs. There are several pages of gas springs and mounting brackets. These are not too expensive for the small, low force units. These are hold open devices like on a car. Proper geometry will allow the lid to stay open and closed with or without a latch. Search for Shock Absorbers and then select Shock Absorbers & Dampers, page 1175 at present, for simple slow closers like automotive shocks without springs.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p@648&cat=3,41427,41390
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Well, whatever you call it, a "gas strut" is what is in use on cars, and they come in an infinite variety of sizes (lengths) and strengths.
For instance, the one on the hood of my new KIA might support a ten (or more) pound toybox lid as well as it supports the hood of the car.
Flash