I managed to pick up some 0.75-1 ft long sections of pine logs a month
or two ago. I put them in the garage to dry but the ends are starting
to mold quite heavily, esp if I put something on top of the cut end
(restricted airflow). Even propped up sections which should have
airflow have shown some slight mold growth.
Does mold usually form on lumber as it's drying? Is there some way to
prevent it? I used a hose to clean off as much as I could, then I
poured some bleach on the mold and hopefully that will kill what's there
Thanks for any suggestions you have.
Now you know why they cut it into boards, then dry it. Your efforts should
be directed at taking away either the moisture <25% or the temperature
required for mold growth. Not much chance of the latter this time of year.
As long as there's nutrition, temperature and moisture, there will be
Assuming these are turning blocks, you might enjoy the effect of the
Normally the endgrain of lumber is sealed so that it does not dry
too much faster than the middle of the wood--resulting in checking.
Painting it with melted parrafin is probably the best way to seal it,
shellac is good too. Latex paint is perhaps the worst.
Clorine bleach is quite deadly to mold, though it may turn the mold
black rather than 'bleach' it. Even a realtively weak solution
wiped on the moldy parts should kill it dead.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.